question

Mark E. Fogle avatar image
Mark E. Fogle asked

Static "settings" slots, configurable on a per-device basis

Use case : Passing slot values to Skills that you don't want to require the user to have to specify every time. Examples : * A "home station" for a transit app (i.e., only the destination station needs to be specified because the origin is already known) * A "room name" for a home automation app ("Alexa tell Smart Things to turn on the lights" runs a different scene on the upstairs bedroom Echo vs. the living room Echo) In both cases, these are parameters that will change from device to device, but do not change on a regular basis. As with the location example mentioned in another thread, it's certainly possible to have the Skill obtain these from the user using some out-of-band mechanism, but this adds unnecessary complexity to the development of the Skill (e.g., web-based settings UI, need to securely store potentially personal information, etc.) and, if multiple devices are tied to the same account, makes it problematic to implement device-specific settings (like the "room name" mentioned above). Both of these issues would be addressed by the device having settings available on a per-skill basis (similar to the way that Zip Code already works). Message was edited by: Mark E. Fogle
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I think what you want for this is for the request to come down not just with a userID but also a deviceID. Then you could distinguish between them and set your stuff up accordingly. Beyond that, what would also be nice to fulfill this would be to be able to contribute a panel to the Settings selection on the companion app. I.e. once they've enabled your skill, the panel would be available. You could have whatever UI you want in there to set up your app.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mark E. Fogle avatar image
Mark E. Fogle answered
Yes, the device ID would work, though that still places the burden of storing the settings (and maintaining appropriate security for any personal information... and requiring a privacy policy...) on the Skill provider which isn't ideal, especially if the Skill is stateless and only needs the data at the time information is being provided. The Settings panel for the companion app was also what I was thinking, but at the device level rather than the account level; I only have one Echo at the moment (with another on order), but from the way the UI is organized, I'm guessing that the Settings apply to all devices on the account. If they applied at the device level, I could set up a temporary workaround while in Development mode - just create slightly different versions of my Skill for each device and use the Intent ID to pass additional information (e.g., "TurnOnLights_LivingRoom", "TurnOnLights_Bedroom", etc.) and then enable/disable the Skill as appropriate on each device. Message was edited by: Mark E. Fogle
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Thank you for your feedback. The SDK team is aware of your request and may investigate a potential solution for future releases. We appreciate your participation and interest in Amazon's Alexa Skills Kit developer program.
10 |5000