question

Ian D avatar image
Ian D asked ·

Alexa Skill Paginate Response

I am building an Alexa Skill in python using Lambda and I am worried that an outputSpeech response is going to be too long. After looking around the internet, I read mentions of breaking a response up into chunks and prompting the user if they want to continue to the next chunk, ie paginating the response. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this and I can't find any mention of it in the documentation.

This link seems to mention pagination:

https://github.com/alexa/skill-samples-java/blob/master/historybuff/src/com/amazon/asksdk/historybuff/HistoryBuffSpeechlet.java

but I don't know Java and it isn't clear to me how they are paginating the response. Does anyone have any resources or examples of pagination an Alexa response? Thanks!

alexa skills kitlambdahow-toresponsepython
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

After looking more at the link above, it seems they are just using two intents, one for the first response and another to continue to the next chunk. The problem with this is that having a dedicated intent with the utterance 'yes' can be invoked at any time, when I would only want this intent to be used if it comes after the intent with the long response? Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

LiamDeLee avatar image
LiamDeLee answered ·

hi there, did you look at the dialog structure? this will give you a question response kind of interaction with the user where you pre define which slots you need filled in before the skill will be triggered. have a look here

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.