question

Rand M avatar image
Rand M asked

Request to be able to add comments to utterances file

I'd like to be able to add non-processed comments to the utterances file (without it counting against the 200k char limit). I didn't see this in any sample code, but it might already exist, although I did try a "#" and it didn't like that. The syntax could be something like a "#" or multiples of that (e.g. "###") or C-Style comment block (but why complicate things). So an utterance file snippet could look like this: # This is a comment for what MyIntent does # Additional information could include the author, date, version, change history # More info coule include rationale, purpose of slot(s), intended use, previous history, etc. # More comments that no one will ever read could go here MyIntent utterance MyIntent another utterance This could help devs, testers, maintainers, etc, and would be trivial for the utterance file parser to ignore. Thanks in Advance
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
What I'd like to see is an improved format where you can combine the utterance and intents file. I have my own format where I extend the JSON intent file. (Sample below.) That way I keep all info in the same place. It's also not strict JSON, so I can add whatever else I want to it (e.g. comments or other data members -- some of my apps actually bundle and read the file at run-time). I then have a tool that parses it into the intents and utterances file for pasting into Alexa. If they adopted something like this it would solve your problem with comments, and make things easier to maintain by keeping all the linguistic info together. [code] { "dictionaries":{ "drone":[ "attack drone", "attacker drone", "attack drones", "attacker drones", "attackers", "attacker", "attack", "defense drone", ... ], }, "intents": [ { "intent": "SWITCHPRODUCING", "slots": [ { "name": "drone", "type": "LITERAL", "values": [ "~drone" ] } ], "utterances":[ "set production to {drone}", "set production {drone}", "switch production to {drone}", "switch to making {drone}", "switch factory to making {drone}", "make {drone}", "start making {drone}" "produce {drone}", ] }, ... ] } [/code]
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

N. Fradkin avatar image
N. Fradkin answered
Yes, please allow comments in utterances. Everything should have a way to include comments. Comments good.
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Your feature request has been submitted to the SDK development team.
10 |5000