question

GadgetChannel avatar image
GadgetChannel asked

Does "implicit targeting" only work with the latest Smart Home Skill API?

Does "implicit targeting" in the new enhanced Smart Home groups, where you can add an Echo to the group and say "turn on the lights" instead of using the name of the group, require that the devices in the group use the latest Smart Home Skill API with v3 endpoints?

alexa smart homedevices
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered

Looking into this.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Randy King avatar image
Randy King answered

I can't provide a definitive answer but I know that the v2 skill for my control device could not provide the correct information in the discovery payload to support this. I think the displayCategories attribute or something in the capabilities attributes in the v3 interface drives this functionality. With the v2 skill, all my devices showed up as "Other" and the Smart Home Group functionality would not work with the implicit targeting. With the v3 skill, all of the devices show up as Lights or Scenes and the implicit targeting is working.

However, I have searched for documentation on how the implicit targeting works and have found none. For example, I would like to know if the attributes of an endpoint could be set such that "turn off the fan" could target a ceiling fan device in the room when there is no specific Ceiling Fan display category.

10 |5000