question

Christian Schafleitner avatar image
Christian Schafleitner asked ·

MPEG2 decoding on the new Fire TV (2017) no longer supported?

Hi!

I have a very simple app that just plays back an MPEG2 stream coming from a Rasperry PI + OTA TV dongle. This app works totally fine on the 2nd generation Fire TV, but no longer works on the new 2017 Fire TV. The picture gets stuck after a 1-2 seconds. Sometimes it tries to decode some single frames, but definitely not working.

Is this behavior expected on the new Fire TV? It seems it is decoding in software, is there a way to enable the HW decoder, if there is one?

Thanks for your help, Christian

fire tv
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi Christian,

Thanks for posting! Could you please clarify a couple of things for me? Is this an app that you built? If so, what are you using for decoding / playback: is it ExoPlayer, or something else? If you could login to your Dev Portal account, raise a "Contact Us" case with us, indicate your app name / ID, and the frameworks / technology you used to built it, we could look into this further.

Otherwise, if this is not your app, then please note that this is a forum for Amazon Appstore developers. For assistance with the Amazon Fire TV as an end user, please contact Amazon Customer Service for support (http://www.amazon.com/customerservice) or post in the Fire forums (http://www.amazon.com/forum/fire/). Thanks!

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christian Schafleitner avatar image
Christian Schafleitner answered ·

Thanks Levon,

It is an app that I built, but I haven't published it yet (I am in the prototyping stage). I tried using both the native VideoView and ExoPlayer. Same result.

My question is basically: Are you aware of any MPEG2 decoding issues (1080i source) and is there a way to work around them? Do you any sample video player apps

I only have this issue with the newest 2017 Fire TV, the old one works just fine.

Thanks, Christian

Levon@Amazon answered ·

Thanks for additional details Christian,

I have forwarded your messages to the Fire OS team for review, and will update this thread when I hear back from them. Thanks!

Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your patience. MPEG2 hardware decoding is coming in the next update. I don't have an ETA at the moment, but please keep an eye on your Fire TV updates. Thanks!