question

taciturnip avatar image
taciturnip asked

More granular control over volume via speech

When we want to listen to music at dinner, we want it at a low volume, but not too low. We find volume level 2 to be a little too low and volume level 3 to be a little too high. It would be great if you could set the volume more granularly with speech. Maybe allow numbers like 2.5? We've tried asking Alexa to lower and raise the volume, but this seems to raise/lower it from one level to the next, e.g., from 2 to 3. I know you can get this control with the remote or by turning Alexa's volume dial, but that's no fun when your hands are covered in BBQ.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hi there, Thanks for posting. I'll definitely pass this on to the team as feedback. Just make sure you have enough napkins to go around in the mean time! Regards, Jamie
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer answered
Yes to this and THREE more Volume related requests: 1. Separate volume settings for voice and music/media. We too enjoy quiet music, but would prefer the Alexa voice to stay at normal levels. There is no reason the voice should speak at lower levels just because we are listening to "quiet music" any more than my wife and I should be whispering at the dinner table just because we are listening to quiet music! 2. allow automatic voice volume adjustment based on ambient noise. (As car stereos do) So in the evening Alexa voice would be quieter than during the afternoon when the kids are running around and the television is on. The degree of adjustment could be user controlled. 3. Could you PLEASE have Alexa say "OK" or something quick to let us know that she has indeed changed the volume after a verbal request? I almost always issue a volume command before a music request to make sure Alexa isnt going to start blaring the music at level 8, and then I have to yell a volume request to get the volume to turn down.
10 |5000

Wes avatar image
Wes answered

I would also like to see this. I like to set music at bed time and 2 is to high and 1 to low

Also volume for times so if at bed time then set alexa response to low if during the day increase alexa voice response to a set level.

10 |5000

Mike avatar image
Mike answered

I see that this thread is almost 4 years old and I’m not sure why it hasn’t been addressed. Can you please bring it up to the team again. Like others have said volume 2 is too low and volume 3 is too high.

10 |5000