question

geeksperhour avatar image
geeksperhour asked ·

How can I turn off screen saver in webapps while my app is running on fire tv stick?

I want to know that how can I turn off screen saver in webapps while my app is running on fire tv stick?

Actually I have created a web application for fire TV stick in which a page is displaying slideshows repeatedly but after sometime the screen either goes to sleep or the scree saver goes turned on. So in this case I need to turn off the screensaver/sleepmode forcefully while my app is running.

I hope this make sense !

Thanks in advance :)

fire tabletfire tvhow-toweb apps
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

WangChao@Amazon avatar image
WangChao@Amazon answered ·

Hi @geeksperhour,

Q: During media playback, how do I prevent the device from entering standby or daydream mode (screen saver)?
To keep both Amazon Fire TV and the television awake during media playback, set the KEEP_SCREEN_ONflag for your activity, or acquire a wake lock from the power manager. Your app must release all wake locks when it is not actively playing audio or video so that both the device and the television can sleep and preserve power. See the PowerManager and PowerManager.WakeLock classes for details on using wake locks.

Note that if your app plays audio and you set a partial wake lock for your app PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, the television remains on and when idle the device enters daydream mode (displays the screen saver). This is different behavior from a partial wake lock on a mobile device (where it keeps the CPU on, but turns the screen off), as audio playback over HDMI requires the television to be on. Again, make sure you release the wake lock when your app stops actively playing audio so that the television can sleep.

Setting the SCREEN_BRIGHT_WAKE_LOCK or SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK flags has no effect on the behavior of the device.

See https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/faq-general.html for more information. Thanks.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dixie Normous avatar image
Dixie Normous answered ·

Can we resurrect this thread. The OP clearly asked about "webapps" and the answer given was for Android apps. I have this exact same question. I have a WEB APP...not Android, and I need to disable the screensaver mode. I have the appropriate box checked in the app submission, and when video plays, that works as expected. But, it only Audio is playing, it still enters the screensaver mode.

1 comment

Yup, that is the Amazon way. Nothing suggests that it will change.

The only thing that you can do is to play a one pixel silent video (or loop a v. short video).

0 Likes 0 ·