question

wenworld avatar image
wenworld asked

Error updating feed URL

I've got two separate questions, but they may have a single answer:

I created a flash briefing skill a few months back; it's been working fine until just recently. We just added SSL to our website, so the feed URL has changed from HTTP to HTTPS. The rest of the feed address is unchanged. I attempted to update the feed URL accordingly in our skill and it won't save; I get an error "Error: Error fetching the requested URL."

In the meantime, the current skill doesn't seem to be updating.

The feed is located at https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/rss/headlines/news/local/

flash briefingupdatessl
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM avatar image
KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM answered

It looks like that the date format you put in the feed URL is not correct. It should be yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss'.0Z', for example, 2016-05-23T00:00:00.0Z.

There might be other issues as well, please make sure you read through https://developer.amazon.com/docs/flashbriefing/flash-briefing-skill-api-feed-reference.html and meet all these requirements before you resubmit.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Pete S avatar image
Pete S answered

As well as the date issue Kaiyin mentioned you're also using a Let's encrypt certificate which last time I checked wasn't supported for Flash Briefings

10 |5000

newuser-55f6b2c1-804a-4124-b9f3-834812d44c6d avatar image
newuser-55f6b2c1-804a-4124-b9f3-834812d44c6d answered

Hi all, I'm having a similar issue: Desired outcome: play most recent audio from a new RSS feed for both Flash Briefing skills (one is US, one is UK - otherwise identical).

My first, original feed ended in .json.

The new feed ends in ?results=5

I have updated each skill with the new feed and chosen it as default. Amazon certified that update. It appears chosen as the default in each skill.

But Alexa is still playing audio files from the old JSON feed. I tried deleting the old feed but it wouldn't let me submit for certification (as others have experienced).

Any ideas? Thank you!

1 comment
10 |5000

Due to the caching nature of FlashBriefing, it’s important that your content be uploaded and available at the audio content URL before updating your feed file. To minimize the chance of new content not being picked up, please follow the following steps when updating your content:

1. Upload your audio content to your server and ensure the download is complete and the endpoint is reachable
  2. Update the updateDate/pubDate in your feed file to reflect the current date and time.
  3. Save your feed file.

This means to solve this issue, please put a new update date in your feed when there're any content changes so that Alexa can pick them up.

0 Likes 0 ·