question

Mark avatar image
Mark asked

A way to invoke audio streaming for TuneIn / iheart

Is there a way to programmatically play an audio stream such as a radio station available through TuneIn or iHeart?
alexa skills kit
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
That is a feature of The Echo. It is not a feature of Alexa. So there's nothing in the Alexa Skills Kid to do it. :-(

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-9c2a7f44-7c6a-4b78-ab64-a5265ddd3f97 avatar image
newuser-9c2a7f44-7c6a-4b78-ab64-a5265ddd3f97 answered

I understand this request. The problem is the built-in TuneIn skill is mediocre. a) It does not recognize 90% of the radio station names, mainly foreign stations, even though they are in their repository. E.g. any Hungarian stations, such as "Kossuth Rádió". b) It does not let us add nicknames for stations to invoke them easier. A temp solution would be to publish a simple skill for our favourite station that invokes TuneIn with the relevant stream.

GlennL avatar image
GlennL answered

I have tried to overcome this but Amazon keeps rejecting my skills. They won't allow you to access the radio feeds from TuneIn and if you try and access them directly Amazon refuses to accept them as you don't own the IP.

My request is like yours a simple one. Allow custom words to launch radio stations. Tunein implementation is too strict atm.

1 comment

Would love to see this up-voted / prioritized. Try to get Alexa to listen to "dogglounge". 100% of the time it will start "the dub lounge".

0 Likes 0 ·