question

developer13 avatar image
developer13 asked

Addition of custom interface to Smart home skill API for TVs

The kind of Alexa smart home skills API for entertainment devices is really exciting for developers. There are many built-in interface that are already there like the ones below - Alexa.PowerController, Alexa.ChannelController, Alexa.InputController, Alexa.PlaybackController, Alexa.StepSpeaker and Alexa.Speaker.

Apart from this is there a possibility to add a custom interface within smart home skill API.

Eg: I would like to add a capability to "Open an application within a TV", or "set/change the picture style within TV". Such kind of interfaces more often would be specific to a particular TV manufacturer. Is there a way i can extend the smart home skills API to implement the above without having to write a custom skill using ASK.

There are 2 limitations with custom ASK.

1) There has to be an invocation name for a request

2) Concept of endpoint which is available in smart home skill is missing. Suppose there are 2 or 3 TVs in a home, we need to use a location to identify the TV like bed room, main room etc... Whereas with smart home skill we could identify it using the friendly name. So when you talk about a setting on a TV using its friendly name, AWS lambda always got endpoint information.

skillalexa smart homeskill builder
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered

Hello. At present these aren't any ways to do what you've described in your post.

Otherwise, thanks for the great feature request. I'd suggest posting this as a feature request in our ideas space here.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.