question

sajeev avatar image
sajeev asked ·

Transfer Alexa Skill to new developer account

Hello - I have certified skill in our company account, and I need to transfer the skill new company. I have 'admin' level access in both companies developer accounts.

transfer app
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Billy@Amazon avatar image
Billy@Amazon answered ·

Transferring skills between accounts is not currently a supported feature of the Alexa skill development platform. That said, you do have a couple options at your disposal.

1. If you have access to both accounts in question, you may simply log into the new account, click "Add a New Skill" and copy and paste the pieces of metadata (like skill name, invocation name, sample utterances etc.) from the old account, to the new account. Please note, that if your back-end Lambda code validates the skill ID of incoming requests, it would need to be edited to recognize and accept the skill ID of the new skill entry under the new account.

If you then publish this duplicate skill under the new account, you may want the old version hidden from the Alexa skills store. In that event, file a contact us case with the name and skill ID of the old skill and let us know whether you'd like us to "soft" or "hard" suppress the original version. More information on that process can be found here:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/2749/how-do-i-suppress-my-alexa-ski...

2. Alternatively, if all you want to do is change the developer name that's displayed underneath your live skills in the Alexa skills store, you don't need to transfer anything at all. Instead, sign into your Amazon developer account and file a contact us case at the URL below telling us what you would like your new developer name to be instead and we can do this for you.

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/support/contact/contact-us

7 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Be aware, that with #1 you lose all reviews, users, linked accounts et cetera to your skill, as you are in fact submitting a new skill.

With hard suppress of the "old" skill, your users will have to search for your skill and activate it again (very bad user experience) which can avoided by soft suppress, but in this case you have two skills to fix bugs for, merge statistics / metrics / analytics, keep track of the right skill Application ID et cetera, which simpy will be a mess.

#2 means to hand over your account to another company, which is, depending on your situation, very likely no optional at all.

I'd like to see the opportunity to transfer a skill between two accounts again, either by requesting a support ticket or with a dedicated option in the developer account - as this problem will popup again on the long run (it's like moving a website from one hoster / owner to another which simply happens from time to time).

2 Likes 2 ·

Anyone know of any plans to allow transfering of skills between accounts in the near future?

1 Like 1 ·

Hi mdoyler13,

We currently do not have information on that, but we will take the feedback and feature request back to the team.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ahhhh, has anyone noticed what a disastrous situation this is for the long term? Correct me if I am wrong, but any developer who deploys a skill, is expected to be wed to that skill forever (Lest they lose all data, ratings, users, etc). For commercial situations (e.g. a Contracting developer), this is a bit of a disaster...

This may be OK in the short term, but it looks like causing large amounts of grief into the future. I'd suggest a fix to this is expedited before Amazon starts to get an increasing amount of egg on its face in commercial engagements when developers realise (at the end of work?) they can't hand the Skill over. I suppose they will only make that mistake once...

Am I missing something?

In the short term, I would have to suggest setting up a dummy Amazon Developer account for every Skill, then that dummy account can easily be handed over. That is the antithesis of a proper modern process though, of course.

1 Like 1 ·
Billy@Amazon avatar image Billy@Amazon ♦ newuser-25d0dd35-4cdb-43ad-b6aa-c5e587f53a96 ·

Hello,

If you have concerns about your account please file a contact us here where we will be able to assist further.

Regards,

Billy

0 Likes 0 ·

@Billy@Amazon - can we get an update on this? We need to move a skill from a developer's personal account over to a company account. There are hundreds of linked accounts associated with this skill plus 8 reviews. How do we get this done? thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi D. Young,

As mentioned above we are still not supporting that feature this time. I can confirm our internal teams have reviewed this request and they will provide an update if it is implemented. For now we recommend using the following steps above.

Regards,

Billy

0 Likes 0 ·
indieshack avatar image
indieshack answered ·

"our internal teams have reviewed this request and they will provide an update if it is implemented"

Really - if it is implemented?

My +1 on this too - this is insane - there is no mechanism to transfer skills between accounts? How can 3rd party developers easily provide a client with a turnkey product without also needing to gain access to that client's AWS account to implement it?

1 comment

Hi indieshack,

Thanks for your interest in this feature. As a developer I reccomend you submit feature requests and ideas in our uservoice space via the following link: http://alexa.uservoice.com/

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-e2678493-b5a7-4cb5-9acb-2a9692694822 avatar image
newuser-e2678493-b5a7-4cb5-9acb-2a9692694822 answered ·

newuser-18def825-8431-4a29-811e-34aac9ee540f avatar image
newuser-18def825-8431-4a29-811e-34aac9ee540f answered ·

I, too, would like to see this implemented.

newuser-a4540ca2-3c84-4468-a1ef-518c519b67fc avatar image
newuser-a4540ca2-3c84-4468-a1ef-518c519b67fc answered ·

+1 for this as well. My company is being contracted by a large government organization to build a skill for them. I will need to develop on my account as they are unable to provide me with access to theirs.

newuser-50f1ed7a-1500-4704-acc6-10f310aaa852 avatar image
newuser-50f1ed7a-1500-4704-acc6-10f310aaa852 answered ·

Need to move two skills made on Invocable.com under one developer account to a new developer account .... how can I do this ? Any updates Amazon?