question

Saurabh Agnihotri avatar image
Saurabh Agnihotri asked

Dial broke in 5.2.6.0

I have a working app that works fine earlier, I was using DIAL protocol. Since Fire OS update 5.2.6.0

dial is not working anymore checked with other similar app using dial, same result DIAL is broken.

BTW I am getting: Failed to connect to /ip:port

Any fix for this?

Update:

Found the problem the port has been changed to 8009, but in earlier OS it was 8008 so now question is on which port to connect in order to have it working on all Fire tv OS levels?

fire tvupdate
1 comment
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. I have asked the relevant team to investigate this, and will post again as soon as I have any updates. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

What is the app? Is that always happening or just sometimes? Did you try to restart the device? Can you please upload the logs (both server side and client side)? Thanks!

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ok found the problem the port has been changed to 8009, but in earlier OS it was 8008 so now question is on which port to connect in order to have it working on all Fire tv OS levels

1 Like 1 ·
Saurabh Agnihotri avatar image
Saurabh Agnihotri answered

Hi Levon, this is happening always. Yes I tried restarting device.

I am making following request to fire stick

appPackageName = dial registry already registered

Request{method=POST, url=http://192.168.0.100:8008/apps/appPackageName, tag=null}

java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to /192.168.0.100 (port 8008) after 10000ms: isConnected failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Same above code was working fine since a year, before Fire tv os update 5.2.6.0

Dmitry avatar image
Dmitry answered

I am a developer of a cast app and I faced the same issue after update 5.2.6.0. I used DIAL to launch my application on a fire tv stick but it is not possible anymore. This function worked well for over a year.

Could you please tell me if this is a bug of Fire TV or a new policy and DIAL is no longer available?

Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

The DIAL protocol specifies that you get the absolute URI for the DIAL Rest Service in the Application-URL header when you do a GET on the Location URL of the M-SEARCH response. Instead of hardcoding 8008/8009, you should be using the information from the Header based on the spec.

Information about this header is specified in the DIAL spec under section 5: DIAL Service Discovery: http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/dial-protocol-specification

Dmitry avatar image
Dmitry answered

Hi

I am getting Location Url on my M-Search as:

http://192.168.1.3:53892/upnp/dev/bc4565d8-54e4-a6e2-ffff-ffff9a6efae3/desc

And I get my "Application-URL" header as:

http://192.168.1.3:8009/apps/

I have registered my application on http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/dial-registry/namespace-database

as "com.megacast.player"

and setted up my whisperplay.xml as

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<whisperplay>
    <services>
        <service>
            <sid>com.megacast.player</sid>
            <accessLevel>ALL</accessLevel>
            <startService>com.megacast.player.fixed.PlayerService</startService>
        </service>
    </services>
    <dial>
        <application>
            <dialid>com.megacast.player</dialid>
            <startAction>android.intent.action.MAIN</startAction>
        </application>
    </dial>
</whisperplay>

by using this link:

I have added this line

<meta-dataandroid:name="whisperplay"android:resource="@xml/whisperplay" />

to my application in Android manifest in my Fire TV app.

And still, when I am trying to perform GET request on http://192.168.1.3:8009/apps/com.megacast.player

I get only "Error 404, Not found." error.

This pipeline worked completely fine for a year till update 5.2.6.0 and now it does not. Please, let me know if I did something wrong, but from my point of view it seems like DIAL broke in 5.2.6.0

Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

A quick update: We have found an issue with the latest version and are working on a fix that should be up in a few weeks. We will notify you with further steps once the fix is in. Thank you for reporting the issue!

Dmitry avatar image
Dmitry answered

Hi. Could you please tell me when do you plan to fix this issue? I've checked latest build of Fire TV and it's still there.

Levon@Amazon answered

Hi Dmitry, I don't have any additional updates at this time. As mentioned earlier, I will post here whenever new version is released. Thank you for your patience.

Levon@Amazon answered

Hi all,

We have completed the OTA updates for our services, which should resolve this issue. Please give it a try and let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Dmitry avatar image
Dmitry answered

Hi Levon,

I am checking for a system update on my TV stick and it does not finds anything new. It shows 5.2.6.0 (587444820) as newest, but it's the bugged version. Could you please tell me when this update will be available?

1 comment

Hello Dmitry,

Hopefully you received the update, and the issue is resolved. If not, please let us know + provide details, and we'll investigate. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·