question

cdburns123 avatar image
cdburns123 asked

Skill of Skills

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a skill of skills or perhaps is working on one. Meaning. I can't constantly remember every skill's name and how to activate it...and I shouldn't have to. This is the road everyone wanted to avoid; remember commands. It would be nice if later on someone had; even Amazon, a way to make these more human connected...a top down skill. "Alexa, what's my horoscope"; "Alexa, tell me a yo mama joke". Since there might be several skills that perform the same functions, I should be able to link what I say to what skill to perform from the Alexa console. Most skills I have enabled, I still have to go back in and go..."Oh, yeah, I have to say...for that one." And with many more being built it is going to make it impossible.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Paul Cutsinger said, at the hack-a-thon in Boston, that they were working on a way to enable/disable skills verbally. But, of course, he wouldn't say when.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cdburns123 avatar image
cdburns123 answered
Yes, but I am looking for an easier way to activate skills without having to remember every command. It would be nice to configure my profile to allow a better human interaction based on common language. For example: (Match in my profile) When I say: "Alexa, tell me a yo mama joke?" (run) "Alexa, ask mom jokes to tell me a joke" "Alexa, what is my horoscope?" (run) "Alexa, ask horoscope to tell me the horoscope for Capricorn." "Alexa, when is X coming on?" (run) "Alexa, ask tv shows when is X on." Perhaps not doable, but instead of interacting with it, it has become a command based system for skills.
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
+1 I had quasi-request for something like this here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=27123槳 But your suggestion is even better. I can't think of any reason why Amazon can't get the user request and then match it to enabled skills, setting up some priority rules in case of conflicts (e.g., launching the native skill first if there's a match, then looking for a match with enabled skills, and finally, maybe, offering a suggestion for what the user might have meant.) I know they are working on cleaning up the skills store so it looks less like a teenager's bedroom (or is that just my teenager?). It seems like this should be a piece of that project. Steve
10 |5000

adamp avatar image
adamp answered

If they see this as a monetization opportunity it won't be just another feature, it might take a while to arrive.

10 |5000

Vijay avatar image
Vijay answered

I am working similar requirement wherein I don't have to publish my new skills every time. Instead there can be one skill which can respond to my other services (or skills) based on multiple more than one invocation names. One way to is that the main skill (which is already published) interacts to other system via webservice or simple HTTP call. Any suggestions will be helpful.

10 |5000