question

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta asked

Login With Amazon + Account Linking

It seems a bit silly that Amazon has a login service (Login With Amazon), and a service which gives the option of logging in (Alexa Account Linking) but you can't use one with the other. If you can use Login with Amazon and Account Linking, can a tutorial be written up and added to the documentation on how to do this? If not, can you please extend one or the other so that they can? It only makes sense to keep it all within the same Amazon ecosystem.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered
Hey! That is great feedback. Let me pass it on to the team. Thanks for posting. Jamie
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jefffw avatar image
jefffw answered
Is there any updates on this? I am facing the same problem that log in with amazon and account linking is broken...
10 |5000

miker-2 avatar image
miker-2 answered
I'm building an alexa service that assumes all users have an amazon account. Being able to link a user's alexa account with their amazon account is the primary use case for this product. I'm really surprised that Amazon's own login service doesn't work with this. Any updates? My only other option right now is to put a URL in the alexa card, but that is messy because the user has to manually copy/paste it into a browser window.
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Why is it not possible to use Login with Amazon for account linking? Setup a page like any other, add the LwA code, and it should run like any other linking service, shouldn't it? Or is there something specific about LwA that prevents it from working inside of the account linking screen?
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I haven't seen how to get it to work. But I accept that it might. In my original request I asked for a tutorial on how to do it if it does already work. It's a no-brainer use case and keeps everything within the Amazon ecosystem.
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
I'm interested in the answer to this, too. Does it not work just like, say, Google account linking?
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
What does logging in with Amazon get you, though? If you want access to their name, email, etc then yes, makes sense. Otherwise, unless you're writing a skill to integrate with amazon itself, having the user login with amazon doesn't get you anything, does it? I checked again, and I think you should be able to do this all within AWS: 1. Setup an S3 bucket with web hosting enabled, which gives you an https url to serve content from 2. Create a static html file with the login with amazon javascript SDK loaded and a login button 3. Upload this to the S3 bucket, point your skill's account linking url to its public url 4. Create a lambda function to handle the login with amazon authorization request 5. Use http gateway to give your lambda function a public https url 6. In your login with amazon config, point your return url to the lambda url 7. In the lambda function, get the amazon token and make a request to get the user's profile information 8. Once received, store it in your own dynamodb 9. Generate a random token for this user, store it with the user details 10. Send back a redirect to the user, pointing them to the account linking url for your skill and passing the generated token At this point, the user has logged in, you have their amazon account details, the token has been linked, and the skill has been enabled. Seems like a lot of work. Sure would be great to have a template or something all setup to do this for us. :) I would like to build it, sounds fun. But right now I don't have a use for it, so I don't want to invest the time.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Yeah, lots of steps. I might try it at some point, because I do have a need. But I'd rather have a step-by-step with cut & paste code from Amazon, since it is in their interest. Really, what I'd like, is to be able for "Account Linking or Creation" to have an additional radio button "login with Amazon". If so, then Amazon handles the authentication. Now that ID is shared with any website created by the same developer ID that uses Login With Amazon. That would make it most consumable.
10 |5000

Dad of 4 avatar image
Dad of 4 answered
Spent quite a bit of time trying to get Login with Amazon working with Alexa Skill only to see the forum thread saying it does not work. Is this still the case? Seems like everything is "working" except that LWA complains that the return URL has not been whitelisted - which I have.
10 |5000

Stefan Negritoiu avatar image
Stefan Negritoiu answered
Yes, it works if you want to use LWA as your web app's/skill's identity system in place of username+password. It's no different than using any other OAuth-based identity provider. That being said, picking LWA won't make your job of implementing the Account Linking spec any easier. I believe the original intent of this thread was to ask why isn't there a simplified version of Account Linking that works with LWA since all Echo users already have and are signed it to alexa.amazon.com with their Amazon account. Stefan
10 |5000