question

bdropuljic avatar image
bdropuljic asked

Speech processing within Alexa skill ?

Hi all! I'm new here and I couldn't find whether there is a possibility to do speech processing - to analyze speech signal which Echo record within the skill? As I saw, the skill can only do a text processing on the Alexa speech-to-text output. Thank you for any help...
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered
Hi bdropuljic, Welcome to dev forums and thanks for posting! The simple answer is 'no' -- it's not possible to analyze speech signal that Echo records. Please refer to this article and diagram to understand the process: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/overviews/understanding-custom-skills Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Levon can't say this, because he works for Amazon and it is their (shortsighted) policy not to comment on future plans. But since I don't work for Amazon, I can say it: [b]Amazon is never going to do this[/b]. It's a privacy concern. Have you listened to the playback on what Alexa hears? It can hear all sort of noise, side conversation, and lots of stuff going on in your domestic environment. It would be a huge disservice to their customers to make this available, no matter what you clicked, to random 3rd party people. Take that for what it's worth...
10 |5000