question

Ben avatar image
Ben asked

Disable Bluetooth "Now connected to" Message

Please add an option to disable the verbal "now connected to DEVICE" bluetooth message on the Echo. I have a Raspberry Pi with 7 Bluetooth USB adapters on it that connect wireless to various speakers in my home automation system. The Echo's are annoying because of this message when the bluetooth connects, they all go off at the same time. This is my work around for Amazon not having released push notifications, I use a TTS engine on the Pi to send text to speech to the Echo's for verbal announcements in my home. Thanks Message was edited by: Ben
alexa skills kit
9 comments
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

PLEASE!!! Let's have an opinion to disable this. Every time i connect my phone have this annoying msg. I HAVE THE PHONE IN MY HANDS AND CAN SEE THAT IT DID CONNECT!!!!!

It looks like an easy fix why don't AMAZON don't address this issue?

7 Likes 7 ·
newuser-4e252ddd-3395-4a2e-a4d0-19b08e5eaf57 avatar image newuser-4e252ddd-3395-4a2e-a4d0-19b08e5eaf57 newuser-2536b828-c782-40a0-a201-e5126cd98dbf ·

@ Amazon: Still not added? I wake my spouse trying to use my phone to play white noise & alexa just HAS to shout that's connected. PLEASE put in an option to shut her [Alexa] up!

1 Like 1 ·

would be nice to have someone from #AlexaDev #AmazonDev to monitor and then fix issues here... i see this has been a problem from 2016! i have disconnected my #EchoPlus2nd from my laptop and using another bluetooth device for better audio

5 Likes 5 ·

Is Amazon or Bose listening. I hate this stinking announcment. Why does she have to do this so freaking loudly? I can see if it's connected and disconnected I don't nee do hear it and neither does my entire neighborhood! This needs to be fixed in the NEXT update if not sooner. In fact, there should be a way to turn down that voice separately from music or other audio. IT'S TOO LOUD

4 Likes 4 ·

please, please fix this and also remove the "now playing from desktop...." this announces every 10 minutes with every background ding or simply because it re-established connection with my desktop (why did it loose it in the first place?!)

3 Likes 3 ·
Show more comments
Ben avatar image
Ben answered
Also if you could please make it so that the Echo doesn't disconnect bluetooth the moment I say something like "Alexa play jazz music" that would be great. It stays connected if I ask it the weather but if I say to play music it disconnects so I know this is possible. Thanks

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
How exactly would you see that working in the Alexa Skills Kit? This sounds more like a device specific/Echo feature request. If you want a request heard for The Echo, this isn't the place to make it. I think the feedback page on the product itself is the right place.

DMC0720 avatar image
DMC0720 answered

This is not a device specific issue since it relates to Alexa actions based on the devices it is interacting with. I have a Tap and a Dot and I am pretty sure they do the same thing. Whenever either device makes a Bluetooth connection it announces "Connected to Bluetooth" at whatever volume level the speaker was previously set at. So, if I have been listening to music all day at a pretty high volume level, then leave the house for a few hours, when I return really late and the phone reconnects via Bluetooth it blares out in high volume "Connected to Bluetooth" and wakes everyone up. Yes, I know I can adjust my Tap speaker volume to very low manually every time I stop using it but I should not have to do that. I should have the option of either voice prompts announcing OR just a "ding" like most other Bluetooth devices do when they connect to each other.

Rome85 avatar image
Rome85 answered

So a year and half have passed since, and this problem has still not been resolved...?

1 comment

It's now 2021 and the answer is...NOPE!!! WTF AMAZON??? Anybody still alive in there...HELLO?!!!!!

3 Likes 3 ·
Sixeyeco avatar image
Sixeyeco answered

Please, please, please... please find a way to allow us to disable this message. There are no fewer than three volume controls when I play anything on my computer; the player, the pc and my Alexa device. It is maddening to drop the levels of two to be courteous to those around me, only to hear an obnoxiously loud announcement when connecting or the tone when disconnecting.

This is the only post I could find on this topic, so.. all apologies if it's in the wrong place.

1 comment

I fixed the problem by installing the application developed by this guy (it's designed to work on Windows operating systems):
https://lucabarile.github.io/Blog/antialexa/index.html

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-2a19d6c1-dd82-4298-b8a2-7c1fc2d7671a avatar image
newuser-2a19d6c1-dd82-4298-b8a2-7c1fc2d7671a answered

YES. This crap is so annoying! I have my dot connected to tap (my favorite of many speaker combos, incl the large echo) BUT my nocturnal neighbor has some weird WiFi/ Bluetooth disrupting crap so any given night there’s a solid chance I’ll wake up to this obnoxious and uselsss notification. Please get rid of it! We know it’s connected, we set it up this way. If it isn’t then it’ll be obvious when sound isn’t coming from BT!

FGHBergius avatar image
FGHBergius answered

In comparison, the Cortana enabled Harman & Kardon Invoke speaker makes a much more subtle Du~Dü sound when re/connected. That's more like it. This should be configurable as requested!

newuser-99ec42e1-6157-47e9-81cd-d16773b9a894 avatar image
newuser-99ec42e1-6157-47e9-81cd-d16773b9a894 answered

They will never fix this issue. I just got the run around from customer service for over a week, and in the end they finally admitted there is no way to turn it off and there are no plans to give us that ability. Fine! I demanded and got a refund. There are other smart speakers out there, Bose allows you to turn off audio notifications.

newuser-b8474ad5-fe89-49fa-8c94-b72535b3408f avatar image
newuser-b8474ad5-fe89-49fa-8c94-b72535b3408f answered

I called amazon today and told me that they cannot do anything about it. This is so annoying. This notification needs to go. What is Amazon doing about it?

1 comment

Thank you - that was a good laugh! Amazon has an ARMY of some of the best programmers on the planet...yet they somehow can't write 3 lines of code that could be done by a middle-schooler. As they blatantly dis their customers, at least I thought they would not to lie to us. Shame...

1 Like 1 ·
newuser-27c034a7-ee69-4a3e-a218-18ed0c0753ba avatar image
newuser-27c034a7-ee69-4a3e-a218-18ed0c0753ba answered

This is awful. They could use the lights to indicate a new connection instead of this loud blaring "Connected to Bluetooth".. it's so awful everytime I reboot my computer.