question

Alan Cone avatar image
Alan Cone asked

Control Your Roku Player!

For those times when you just can't find that darn remote. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate Roku's voice search, but it may not be (easily) possible. Complete source and instructions here: https://github.com/MrEggsalad/Echo-Roku-Voice-Control
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Excellent! I have been planning on making a Roku control app as part of my personal home automation suite, and this might save me some work :) A couple suggestions: 1. You have no license listed in your repo that I can tell. Add one! 2. Since this is a node script, you should add a package.json file - you can set one up super easily by running "npm init" in your project directory.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Alan Cone avatar image
Alan Cone answered
Thanks! I added a license so you can do whatever you wish with the source. The best resource I found for making a Roku Control App would have to be http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide if you wanted to make your own. Since the Echo can't access your home network you will need to open a port on your router or at least address that issue and effectively make your Roku publically-accessible. You could put security methods in place to ensure only you can control it, otherwise technically someone could just wreck havoc by sending POST commands to your IP to control your Roku.
10 |5000

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered
Yeah, that's an issue I've had to tacke for both my Insteon home automation controller as well as my Plex app. Luckily both of those support SSL connections and can be set up to require authentication, which makes the problem not nearly as bad. If the Roku has no way to require authentication, I'll need to set up a simple reverse proxy, which I could set up to require SSL. In fact, that's what I should be doing anyway, as it's better not to fully expose these various IoT devices to the public internet if you can avoid it!
10 |5000

Will Strain avatar image
Will Strain answered
I am trying to design an app similar to this that uses rest to talk to an Arduino, but I am having issues sending the http requests. I was wondering if you had any secrets to how to get the http request to work. When I try to send mine it doesn't give an error but at the same time it doesn't run the callback function and the request doesn't show up at my endpoint. I already know the Arduino is accessible from the internet it just seems like lambda can't see it. Thank You
10 |5000

Alan Cone avatar image
Alan Cone answered
All of the secrets I have are already in the source code posted. I had a difficult time getting the request to complete before Lambda would end the process. Make sure in your request that you put your callback there so it only happens after the request is completed; in my case (line 52 of index.js) var req = http.request(options, satisfyAlexa); Also, if you call context.done(), make sure this happens [b]after[/b] your request is completed. Remember NodeJS does every asynchronously, unlike JavaScript which completes steps in order. So even if your request is coded for earlier than your termination code, it'll all be run together. I've found that code like req.on("finish") does [b]not[/b] work for this purpose and it is still terminated too early. For HTTP requests on Lambda, this can be quite a challenge.
10 |5000

Will Strain avatar image
Will Strain answered
Ok I will look into that. Thank You
10 |5000

Ben avatar image
Ben answered
Thanks for sharing your work!
10 |5000

Maya Maria avatar image
Maya Maria Suspended answered

Try these fast and easy steps to fix Roku error code 003 of Roku Program –

1. Confirm that you have an active internet connection.

2. Make sure the username and password that you entered for the wireless network is correct. So check the network's SSID, and the password may be either WEP or WPA.

3. Place your router and Roku device near each other so you can get a good wireless signal.

4. Reboot your Roku computer by clicking Settings > System > Restart. If you are using Roku TV, then navigate to Settings > System > Power > Restart your Roku TV and restart it.

5. Reboot your router by applying the instructions in the user manual.

10 |5000