question

Anthony M. avatar image
Anthony M. asked ·

How to Display Image on 'Now Playing' screen on Echo Show

When I send the audio directive to the Echo Show, it will display the card at first that contains the Audio description + the card image. after about 15-30 seconds it switches to the 'Now Playing' screen and shows a generic Music note and just says 'Now Playing'. For songs, this would show the album artwork and song title. How can I pass information to this screen so it's not just the default icon

alexa skills kithow-toecho showaudioplayer
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jenn@amazon avatar image
Jenn@amazon answered ·

Hi All, we just launched this today.

Check out the Announcement here.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anthony M. avatar image
Anthony M. answered ·

Would appreciate some input

DanaInSD avatar image
DanaInSD answered ·

Somebody please help this guy.....these forums had GOT to start being more useful......by the way did you find a sample or work it out from scratch....if you can, can you point me to your project or send me a link to it...I would like to start writing some skills for the Show.

1 comment

I didn't have to do anything extra to get my audio skill to work with the Echo Show, I do have a work in progress on a video capable skill but this was all done starting with the examples in the ASK documents and working backwards from there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered ·

It isn't currently possible to pass display image or track information to the Now Playing screen on show.

7 comments

How is a skill Like Sirius Doing this? I'm looking at my Echo Show and their skill displays an Image next to the title of the station that is playing...

4 Likes 4 ·

I too would like an answer on this

0 Likes 0 ·

Count me as another person who would like an answer on this

0 Likes 0 ·

The "built-in" player also does the right thing on the Show. When playing music from my Amazon library, it is getting the image and track info from the mp3 file (using ID3 tags). Is there perhaps some secret way to get the audio player to use ID3 metadata? Or an undocumented means to pass metadata to the audio player (like the video player already supports)? They also seem to be able to affect the background.

Sure would be great to know what's going on here!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

We're experiencing following three different behaviors on 'show' screen when we play 'audio' track, sad part this behavior is not consistent.

1. "Now Playing"
  2. Skill logo and company name
  3. Show displaying 'card' information.
0 Likes 0 ·

This is pretty ridiculous...

0 Likes 0 ·
CuriousSam avatar image
CuriousSam answered ·

I also have the same requirement. I passed Audio and Display.RenderTemplate directives,

when launching skill via echo show, it displays my template for like ~2 seconds and when audio starts playing it's hiding it and displays some fugly default "Now playing" screen or sometimes just a grey screen with a white line near the bottom...

Can someone enlighten me as to how to achieve something that is actually useful/pleasant to look at?

1 comment

This is the behavior we're getting as well, and we've also been searching fruitlessly for a way of achieving something useful or pleasant

0 Likes 0 ·
sajeev avatar image
sajeev answered ·

@Brian@Amazon - Any plan to support this feature in future release? At least display 'meta-data' available in audio file in a standard format.

1 comment

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on future plans, but I'd suggest keeping an eye on our developer blog here where we will post any updates regarding the matter.

-1 Like -1 ·
Antonio avatar image
Antonio answered ·

There are countless reasons images and track titles should be able to be displayed. The fact that we can't is a blocker.

Rooftop Alexa avatar image
Rooftop Alexa answered ·

We would also like to design custom UI for "Now Playing" screen to create much more better user experience. It seems like many people are blocked on this. Please prioritize this feature request. Thanks.

Tom Bruner avatar image
Tom Bruner answered ·

And I'm another, in the middle of developing a podcast skill for Japan.

omega1 avatar image
omega1 answered ·

+1 for this to be enabled