question

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs asked ·

Amazon Echo controlling Plex Media Server and Home Theater

It took a lot of reverse engineering to figure out how to use the Plex API to actually start a show playing ([i]WITHOUT having direct network access to the player itself![/i]) but I've got it working! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jZuSN0YkRM
alexa skills kitshowcase
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Chrisinator avatar image
Chrisinator answered ·
Very cool. I'll be browsin through your source!

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered ·
Seriously amazing job Greg. Can't wait to see the final version.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered ·
made any new progress?

justin avatar image
justin answered ·
Awesome Greg! Looking solid :)

Greg Laabs avatar image
Greg Laabs answered ·
@The Stig Slowly but surely! I've got a roadmap here: https://waffle.io/OverloadUT/alexa-plex I'm working on the framework for prompting now, so Alexa can confirm what show you wanted to start if she has low confidence in what you wanted, as well as being able to ask if you wanted to resume or restart a show. Next up will be a couple odds and ends, and then on to the behemoth that will be multi-user support including PIN-based authentication. In one or two weeks I'll probably have a beta form available for people to start trying out!

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered ·
Awesome! I've set myself a reminder to check back in with you in 2 weeks.

F. Lamaestra avatar image
F. Lamaestra answered ·
Will this play back audio, which is available from the Plex Media Server, through the Echo speaker?

Phalley avatar image
Phalley answered ·

Any further progress? I've been a Plex lover for years and just picked up a echo this week. Would love to tinker with them

newuser-56259819-4f53-4b50-be22-24db743ad938 avatar image
newuser-56259819-4f53-4b50-be22-24db743ad938 answered ·

From what i can tell the dev has moved on to working with Plex directly in hopes to get an offical skill up and running, unsure on progression that has been made on this at all but i presume we can still use the git to launch our own version of this as UK app store is abit lack luster currently. i presume it would work in the same fashion .