question

NoWaitHotWater avatar image
NoWaitHotWater asked

In Alexa's array of products, how can I perform a momentary contact of two dry wires?

I have an Intelli-Circ controller that solved our families problem of always having to wait for hot water at sinks and showers. The controller has two wires meant for a push-button or other momentary contact device. Does Alexa have a device or means of performing a momentary contact function? Ideally, I'd like to say "Alexa, ready hot water". And, through the power of wifi and alexa technology a momentary contact / alexa relay would perform the task.

alexa skills kitalexa smart homeamazon device messagingdevicescontroller
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-536686fc-4b50-4aa9-afe3-b1ede0709ceb avatar image
newuser-536686fc-4b50-4aa9-afe3-b1ede0709ceb answered

I am building a new house with an on-demand water heater wtih built-in recirc pump and hot water return line and wanted to do this exact same thing. While I'll have push buttons at the sinks, I wanted to remotely and easily start the recirc pump from anywhere in the house. The solution that I've found others using is a Nodemcu Wifi board and external relay; the device is cheap, easily programmed (you can download code for the momentary relay function on a number of sites, or you can buy the preprogrammed board with the relay from eBay for under $20, an example being this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alexa-Turn-ON-2-Seconds-and-OFF-WiFi-Momentary-Relay-Switch-Amazon-Echo-/142624362989

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DEcosse avatar image
DEcosse answered

https://www.amazon.com/SHELLY-Wireless-Automation-Android-Application/dp/B07G33LNDY

This is the PERFECT product for this application - I'm using for same application

The Shelly App (links directly with Alexa through Shelly Skill) has lots of programmable features - you would set an auto-off (after 1 sec is plenty for the momentary contact for the recirc pump) and you can even set up a schedule to come on at a specific time of day (for example just before you get up in the morning). You can also run it off 110V or 12V just by moving a jumper on the device. I'm actually using a Spare Echo Dot charger as the Power Supply, to run it off 12V :)

10 |5000