question

newuser-98bf3cc5-4074-4288-9c6a-5d4eab0b5cf0 avatar image

Intranet Call Suggestions

Hi all,

So I'm trying to make a call to a REST API service in order to get data such as addresses and phone numbers of local businesses relative to the user location. For example,

the REST service asks the user for a radius and then Alexa returns the closest stores near them including the contact and store hours information of the respective stores. I intend to query this information and have Alexa speak this back based on the user's discretion.

The endpoint is of the following format: endpoint.com/find/radius/address=myaddress

Radius will come from the user and myaddress will come from the user's amazon profile after using LWA for authentication.

My question: The REST API I am using is implemented for intranet calls only. When I try to call this endpoint on the service simulator, I get an error saying remote endpoint could not be called. I assume this is happening because of the intranet restriction.

I am on a corporate server so it is hard to implement something like ngrok to create some kind of tunnel that would expose this intranet endpoint into an internet endpoint, providing access to all.

Any suggestions?

alexa skills kitlambdaapilogin with amazon
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered

Two things I can think of:

1. Host your skill somewhere it has access to the intranet information, whether that be a VPC or elsewhere.
  2. You note potential issues with ngrok, but I'd advise working with whoever manages security for your corporate network to determine any best practices for your usecase.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.