question

CharlieH77 avatar image
CharlieH77 asked

Could a bedtime story skill pass certification

I'd like to be able to create an Alexa skill that tells bedtime stories. In some sense this is "child-directed" yet would be linked to a parent's account, not a child's account. No personal information from a child would be collected and saved. Could such a skill pass certification?

submission testing certificationcertification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

We are unable to preemptively approve skills or content prior to skill submission. In principle, an interactive choose your own adventure would be appropriate but we can't make a judgement call regarding the content in advance. That decision would be up to the certification team at the time of submission.

Our Alexa Skills Kit policy guidelines can be found here:

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/alexa-skills-kit-policy-testing

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nathan Russell avatar image
Nathan Russell answered

This is an awesome question, and is pretty much what I've asked here:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/80177/what-is-the-point-of-the-children-under-the-age-of.html

Your example (bedtime story skill) is a perfect example of a skill that would most definitely be targeted toward under 13 year olds, but as I have experienced, there appears to be a blanket policy of not allowing skills targeted towards this age group.

As I understand it, all this policy is achieving is making developers answer the question as No, and generally making devs angry about it (OK, that last part might just be me ! :) )

10 |5000

Philipsalt828 avatar image
Philipsalt828 answered

This suggested bedtime story for girlfriend is a fantastic illustration of a skill which would almost certainly be geared at children who are not yet of 13; yet, from my experience, it seems that there is a stated policy against skills that are directed at this age category.

10 |5000