question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

Idea: POC to enable push notifications

Anyone looking for an idea of something cool to build? I had this idea that would allow the Echo to provide push notifications... 1. Create a physical device that surrounds the Echo remote. When activated, it pushes down a lever to activate the remote. Inside the box, perhaps using a raspberry pi or something, is a small speaker that simply speaks the same thing every time: "Open Notifications" 2. Write a web service that accepts a message and a token. It just pushes the notification to the queue of messages for the given token. 3. Write a skill called "notifications" that checks your web service for messages. It would pass your authenticated token. It would return any push notifications as normal alexa response JSON, and clear the queue. 4. In your box running your raspberry pi, configure it to know your token. It would repeatedly poll the web service to see if you have any pending notifications. If you do, it would trigger the remote, speak the phrase "open notifications", and Alexa would go retrieve them and speak them. If your polling time was short enough, notifications could be nearly instant. It's quite a hack, but it would be fun to build. I imagine you could also use an old smart phone instead of a raspberry pi. It would potentially be a little unreliable, since it's a physical device, but that's just a matter of engineering. :) Anyone want to give it a try?
alexa skills kitcommunity projects
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

daviddlow avatar image
daviddlow answered
This sounds really good fun actually, wish I had time to help with it! Had a similar idea for the Pi but as a way to automate testing of a skill. So the Pi would use the Hardware SDK and play samples of spoken utterances (in different accents) and see what response you get back from Alexa. We find that over time, understanding changes, built-in Intents and Custom Slots change how things behave, and a set of automated tests running in this way would be very useful. It just seems the only sensible way to run vocal tests as part of an automation / regression suite, although having an Echo next to another speaker did cross my mind too :) Planned to try and attack this in January if it's possible but really keen to hear if you gave this a go?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
I've not made any attempt to actually do this, no. It requires hardware, and that's not my thing. :)
10 |5000

hypnonotic avatar image
hypnonotic answered
10 |5000