question

bpx avatar image
bpx asked ·

Fire TV - Web view Screen resolution

Is there any way to set FireTV WebView resolution to 1920x1080? It always returns 960x540 requiring all my images in the webapp to resize. Is there anyway to set the resolution to full HD?

fire tvandroidweb apps
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mwb avatar image
mwb answered ·

As far as I can see, this is intended behaviour: the app display resolution is always 950x540 which is a "feature" because now you only have to cater for one output resolution. The Fire TV scales it to 4K, Full HD, 720p or whatever the customer is using. Using a different TV does not make any difference.

See this article: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/display-and-layout

We're porting our Android app to Fire TV and it really is too bad there is no way to use a full HD viewport in the web view.

5 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Well, when we submit a WASK app to Amazon, and Amazon does Cordova, we always get 1920x1080 values for window-inner/outer values.

However, when we do Cordova in-house, we get 960x540 only.

So, Amazon does something extra during the Cordova wrap to let the app run in the higher resolution.

0 Likes 0 ·

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? Reading through some information about this and most replies seem to indicate that making a cordova webview app results in the 960x540 resolution scaled up 2x. Basically have to build out UI for 960x540 resolution?

0 Likes 0 ·

Nope, there was no resolution. The Amazon WebView supports 1080p, so if you do a webapp, and let Amazon do Cordova, you have 1080p. If you do your own Cordova, I guess you default to a standard WebView that gives you that 540p resolution. If you do that, you have to think about your resources, how they will scale up, etc.

If you read what support person wrote below, at least he doesn't even understand the problem, as he asks to check your TV. I guess, the next will be to check whether your HDMI cable doesn't have loops and is not overheating.

So, this suck big deal. Maybe, if more people will bang on this issue, Amazon will move, and @Russell will write an update to his original article about doing Cordova.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered ·

Hi bpx,

Are you using the standard Android WebView? Have you tried using different TVs to see if the result is the same?

1 comment

When you are running a WASK app, how can you chose Android vs. Amazon WebView? Isn't that selection done by the OS you are running on (e.g., Fire TV provides Amazon WebView, vs. Fire HD tablets maybe Android WebView). You are just running your JS code completely agnostic of what web view system has.

Although, if both web views are available, that would explain, why when Amazon does Cordova, the app runs at 1920x1080, and when we do in-house Cordova, we see 960x540. If that is the case, can Amazon provide guidance for setting up Cordova to get Amazon Web View?

Also, Amazon built WASK apps run fine (with 1920x1080 provided to the app) on all TVs, so the statement about trying a different TV is irrelevant here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael avatar image
Michael answered ·

Has anyone figured this out?

I know RiseVision (My Rise Player) has because I've setup a device with them and put iframe of a website that displays 100% correct as it would in a browser on a 1080p display.

jfrux avatar image
jfrux answered ·

My issue is my video is rendering full screen correctly in Web App Tester but shows bottom right shrunk when ran in WebView . UI shows full screen, but video renders bottom right.