question

darkware avatar image
darkware asked ·

Receiving Pause directive instead of Stop

The stop directive for the PlaybackController does not seem to be working properly. Whenever I say Alexa, stop I get a request with

{u'directive': {u'header': {u'payloadVersion': u'3', u'namespace': u'Alexa.PlaybackController', u'name': u'Pause' ...

so it's impossible to distinguish Pause from Stop. For my Lambda Function I've implemented Alexa.PlaybackController and Alexa.RemoteVideoPlayer.

Should Stop be working or did I do something wrong?

lambdaechovideo skill api
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered ·

It isn't currently possible. Stop will send pause intents.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered ·

Hello. The behavior you're seeing is likely explained in the blue box at the bottom of this section of documentation: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/custom-audioplayer-interface-reference#intents

nyerel avatar image
nyerel answered ·

So how is it possible to send a stop intent? The documentation gives an example - “Alexa, stop device”, but when I say that, it does nothing (plays the sound when she does not understand) :-(

1 comment

"Alexa Cancel" or "Alexa ask <my app> to stop" will issue the AMAZON.StopIntent. But let's face it, users are very unlikely to say either of those things.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan avatar image
Jonathan answered ·

Hi there; you're not alone in suffering from this - it provides a rather poor user experience. A user saying "stop" or "pause" should expect it to do that, and a developer should be able to expect "pauseintent" and "stopintent" to map to the correct intents, not stay up until 1am trying to debug code which was fine, until they find the tiny footnote in the audioplayer reference about this.

So, clearly this issue is known about if there's a footnote about it, but it's been like it for a very long time. I would suggest devs use the contact us form at https://developer.amazon.com/public/support/contact/contact-us. It may have got forgotten about, so the more the better really!

Tomas KIslan avatar image
Tomas KIslan answered ·

@Brian@Amazon This issue is still persisting.

But what's curious is, that occasionally (on random occurrence) it actually does send a Stop intent.