question

gundam212 avatar image
gundam212 asked ·

Demo of Video Skill API controlling Roku (and lessons learned)

This is a demo of using the video skill api to capture SearchAndDisplayResults data from the voice request and forward it along to a Roku via the Roku External Control API for search.

YouTube Link

Lessons Learned:

• The "Publishing Information" page for the Alexa Video Skill must be filled out completely (green check box lit)
  • Either SearchAndDisplayResults or SearchAndPlay must be implemented in your lambda code. A request such "Alexa, show me Star Wars: A New Hope" will inform the linked echo that all future commands such as, "Alexa, play", "Alexa, pause", etc will be forwarded to your Video Skill lambda instance. (It usually continues to forward for a few hours, then reverts back to controlling music/media on the echo itself)
  • The SearchAndPlay/DisplayResults do NOT conform to the documentation. No gracenote IDs are provided and the API does not return uri data for any other providers besides amazon.

Roku Setup:

• I am using a home assistant hub called home assistant to fetch commands from the lambda instance and forward them to a shell command that sends a GET request to the Roku with the search data. I.E - title and season # if provided.
  • A simpler method would be to allow the Roku port 8060 to be accessible from the web and send commands directly from your lambda instance, but this poses security concerns.

Questions for Amazon:

1. Where are the gracenote external IDs?
  2. Why doesn't the fire tv have an accessible API for invoking search remotely?

Hopefully this information helps others.

video skill api
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered ·
  1. I believe 1 has been resolved based on your other thread here.
  2. See here.

Thanks,

Jamie

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.