question

GadgetChannel avatar image
GadgetChannel asked

Built-in music/radio sources take priority over video skill

I have been testing the Video Skill API and have had problems where some utterances are being picked up by the built-in music or radio skills and not being sent to me skill.

For example, "Alexa, change channel to BBC One" will play BBC Radio One on Tunein instead of sending a ChangeChannel request to the skill and "Alexa, play Lost" will play a song called "Lost" on Spotify instead of sending a SearchAndPlay request to the skill.

With channel control, just about the only thing guaranteed to work is to use the channel number instead of the name. With playing of content it only appears to work if there is not a song or artist with that name in Spotify or Amazon Music.

Is there any way to make sure that the request is picked up by the video skill?

video skill api
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tartan_guru avatar image
tartan_guru answered

I'm finding the same problem as well especially with the BBC channels. As a matter of interest GadgetChannel, what sort of response times are you getting? Play and discovery requests are almost instant however pause and channel changes seem to take upto 10 seconds

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

digisam avatar image
digisam answered

I don't know as I haven't got that far :) (though I have been able to make my media play playpause)

But I think it is doing what it is supposed to be doing, unless you have you set up a catalog or anything that tells Alexa Lost is a TV show? You could also try seeing if using the device name helps, or clarifying the media type, especially if you know there might be a clash.

But I am just thinking out loud

10 |5000