question

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse asked

This is what a published skill traffic spike looks like

My simple "Guess The Number" skill went live on Friday, so I thought I'd share the chart showing the traffic spike that it received. This might help others gauge what might happen when their skill goes public. Of course, every skill will be different. Chart: http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/956/0919224284.png Daily invocation counts: Friday = 2,984 Saturday = 8,344 Sunday = 6,639 If anything dramatically different happens during the week, I'll post a followup if anyone is interested.
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
That's absolutely awesome! Amazon have not released how many Echo's they've sold. So it's hard to gauge penetration and adoption. This gives some real numbers. That's almost $50 in revenue if you could charge for ad-impressions. :-) That's almost as much in three days as I've made on my book in the last two months. :-}
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jondecker76 avatar image
jondecker76 answered
Had a question for you since you have a published skill.. Does Amazon cover the AWS usage and charges on a published skill? Certainly it's not fair for a developer not making a dime off of a published skill to have to cover those. I was just curious, thanks
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
It's up to developers to work out how to monetize their own skills. The AWS costs are pretty trivial. (Zero, unless the spikes get a LOT bigger.) The big problem is payback for development time. At market rates Matt's skill probably cost several thousand dollars. Here's my take on approaches: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/monetizing-echo-joseph-jaquinta (There's a longer section on this and overall business development in the TsaTsaTzu book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Program-Amazon-Echo-Development-ebook/dp/B011J6AP26)
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Yeah, that's why I used Lambda for this, so I didn't have to worry about traffic cost. The free tier should cover as many hits as I can get, and I don't have to worry about scaling. For my other app in certification now (EchoTTT) I have a dedicated Google Cloud VM, and I will be curious to see how much it costs me. Worst case, I can always just shut it down if it's taking money out of my pocket :) I'm also curious to know what Amazon does with skills that get taken down, stop working, etc. Will the skill list become a wasteland of things that no longer work? Or do they continue to monitor and check skills? If my skill gets published, what is stopping me from changing the code? I could update it to do something entirely different, or put swear words in or something (not that I would). I just have to wonder how they plan to maintain quality control.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
These are fair questions. I've certainly gone and updated my code post-certification. Worse, my newer skills all use Lambda to pass-thru to a web server. That's two levels of indirection. They're never going to be able to tack that. But, then, Google Play does not maintain any sort of review of the myriad of smartphone applications it lists. They rely on user ratings and feedback to self-correct for bad app behavior. Amazon could be planning on that route. When the once-and-future app store opens...
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
What does the traffic look like now? Has the traffic been consistent? Steve
10 |5000

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Traffic is definitely down, but still pretty solid. See: http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/959/5972931163.png Seems to be averaging about 3,000-4,000 invocations a day this week.
10 |5000