question

Antrikshy avatar image
Antrikshy asked

How should I set up a smart home skill for personal use?

Why is it so difficult to set up a simple skill that captures "Alexa, turn on xyz" and allows me to do whatever I want with it? All I want to do is capture that request and send it to my Raspberry Pi to handle either through SQS/SNS or in some other way.

Anyone have suggestions or personal experience for this use case?

Why does the dev portal assume I am a smart home product manufacturer with an OAuth login system and everything? Why does the entire UX assume that I will eventually submit every skill for certification? The Alexa platform is not as side project friendly as I'd like it to be.

alexa smart homehow-to
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

nickmadge avatar image
nickmadge answered

have a look here: https://github.com/madgeni/alexa_domo

my manual should give you the detail you need, and the code should give you some indication on how to handle the requests

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

GadgetChannel avatar image
GadgetChannel answered

You may be better off using something like Fauxmo, which emulates the WeMo protocol in Python. You should be able to use this in a Raspberry Pi, like I have, and run any code you want when your virtual WeMo switches are turned on and off.

10 |5000