question

oliverschwarz avatar image
oliverschwarz asked ·

Dialog Model/Interface - dialogState on Launch request / elicit slot as Launch request response?

Is there any way to use the dialog interface on the Launch request? Currently no dialogState is given in the incoming Launch request.

When the user launches the skill, I would like to send him a welcome message and a question as response, as well provide Alexa a dialog directive which slot for which intent I already try to 'elicit ' from the user by asking my question. This would make things much easier for me and especially for Alexa's understanding.

I have tested to respond with the mentioned dialog directive, but Alexa ignored it.

Any ideas on that? Help is very much appreciated.

alexa skills kitskillintentsvoice-user interface
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered ·

Hi oliver.schwarz,

This is currently not possible with a LaunchRequest; an IntentRequest must be used.

2 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Would be nice to have it as a feature.

0 Likes 0 ·

Feature requests can be added by going to Create drop down button in the top menu bar and selecting Post an idea. The Alexa Skills Kit development team reviews this list when planning updates to the Alexa Skills Kit.

0 Likes 0 ·
W. Raiford avatar image
W. Raiford answered ·

Is this still the case? If so, is it somehow possible to have a yes/no question on launch request? Or does using dialog directives completely preclude this possibility?

jwashington avatar image
jwashington answered ·

It's really puzzling that there's not a easy way to do this, especially when the video for the PlanMyTrip dialog delegate tutorial shows this type of behavior.

Stan avatar image
Stan answered ·

I fell into the same trap. Then I noticed @jwash answer and realized what this limitation really is. I watched PlanMyTrip video several times and noticed that "Where are you planning to go" is *not* a elicitation for a slot. It is really clever invitation that is supposed to trick user to say "I'm going to..." phrase to kick the intent. If user answered "Portland" instead of the full "I'm going to Portland" then intent probably wouldn't fire and experience would be bad. In PlanMyTrip skill they handle it by adding single slot intent to start the dialog (link):

{toCity}
i want to go to {toCity}
plan a trip to {toCity}
...(many more)

As far as I understand it, you cannot update intent and start dialog from your skill. It has to be initiated by the user, thus, the only workaround is to invite or trick the user to say the magic words.

I will need to update my skill, but this will work for me.