question

gape avatar image
gape asked

When will Device Address API be available for Smart home skills?

Currently the permissions for the device address are missing from the smart home skills configuration and I guess this functionality is not yet available. Do you know when this functionality will be available?

alexa smart homedevices
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian@Amazon avatar image
Brian@Amazon answered

Hi, as I'm sure you can understand we can't comment on our roadmap.

I'm curious though : why do you need address for smarthome skills?

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

gape avatar image gape commented ·

It would be great if we could identify individual Echos.

We don't need the address, just the device ID. Is that maybe already available?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian@Amazon avatar image Brian@Amazon ♦ gape commented ·

Unfortunately not through the smarthome skill API. This is possible through custom skills, but not smarthome skills.

1 Like 1 ·
John avatar image
John answered

Since you say this is available through custom skills could you please point us to any information on how this is done?

10 |5000

Brian@Amazon answered
10 |5000

Gobliss avatar image
Gobliss answered

The term device address in the link you provided refers to the street address. I'm not sure how this helps to allow a custom skill to differentiate between two Alexa devices in the same house (for instance kitchen and bedroom). Can you explain?

10 |5000

Brian@Amazon answered

@Gobliss: deviceID is part of the Device Address API. DeviceID is distinct per device so lets you determine which device is located where. It's sent as part of the request to allow you to use the Device Address API but can be used on its own.

10 |5000