question

newuser-cfff3a49-7ecf-4774-81e7-5f9bf0777d9c avatar image

Error : "Unable to generate request for your skill"

All of sudden I am getting the above error where ever i use Slot Types.Its started just few hours back.

I dont know what happened suddenly , I haven't changed any thing in Alexa interaction model.

I have demo of skill in few hours.please help.Its very urgent.

alexa skills kitskill
3 comments
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi,

Can you please provide more details regarding the structure of your interaction model?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kyle avatar image Kyle Ross@Amazon ♦♦ ·

Ross@Amazong or Brian@Amazon - any update on this issue?

1 Like 1 ·
emkay avatar image emkay Ross@Amazon ♦♦ ·

Yes, this is very urgent. My live skill lacks usability with this current problem. I fear I will be getting bad reviews...

0 Likes 0 ·
Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered

We recently made new tools available to help with the creation and testing of skills. The new features inadvertently impacted a small number of skills. We fixed the issue yesterday and all live skills should work as expected. Please post here if you have any more issues and we will monitor and provide assistance. For skills in development, you can now resolve this issue by clicking ‘Save’ on the interaction model tab or by clicking Build Model in Skill Builder (beta). We apologize for the inconvenience.

4 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

i'm still experiencing this issue after clicking 'build model' in the skill builder. Is there any other reason why I may be experiencing this? An error on my side maybe?

0 Likes 0 ·
mattcheah avatar image mattcheah newuser-b893d05b-73ff-4ede-9417-eb1effd82ee8 ·

There were 2 things that may have caused this to keep happening for me:

1. I had created my own YesIntent and NoIntent instead of using Amazon.YesIntent and Amazon.NoIntent. Unless you're using the dialog management implementation, make sure you're using the right intents.
  2. I was actually using the dialog management stuff without meaning to by requiring one of my slots inside the skill builder beta. If you get rid of that your skill may start to work properly.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi, our skill is experiencing the same issue. When we say: "Alexa, launch n wave". Then Alexa would say: "Sorry, I am having trouble accessing your enwave skill right now.". But when we use the skill with other utterances. It is working.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-e2b19b41-834e-4725-b450-f314a02cf098 avatar image
newuser-e2b19b41-834e-4725-b450-f314a02cf098 answered

the same thing is happening to me. even for hello world skills

sidb avatar image
sidb answered

Did you try testing with all lower case letters in the utterance ? It seems to be working

1 comment

Did a quick test, changing my custom slot from Name to name, and with only one utterance ({name}) and this works. However, with all my other utterances back and my other slots (time and date), it doesn't work, so it's not a turnaround unfortunately...

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-e2b19b41-834e-4725-b450-f314a02cf098 avatar image
newuser-e2b19b41-834e-4725-b450-f314a02cf098 answered

Did you get it working?

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered

Is anyone here using the new skill editor, and if so, using dialogs and prompts? If so, that may be the reason you are unable to generate a request using the service simulator.

3 comments

@NickG@Amazon How does this solve the issue? Where could we find "dialogs and prompts" in that new editor? We have to say: "no, we did not use the new editor and the same error hits". Thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·

It does not solve the issue but it gives a potential workaround, and that can help some people. No need to be belligerent.

The dialog and prompts are an optional part of the skill builder, and they are activated when you toggle the on/off in the edit section of an intent (under section "Intent Confirmation") or in a slot details under the "Dialog Model" section.

You can also revert back from Skill Builder to the previous editor in the "dashboard" menu of Skill builder by clicking on "Leave Beta Preview".

0 Likes 0 ·

Any updates on this? This is a MAJOR blocker for us.

0 Likes 0 ·
freewheelnat avatar image
freewheelnat answered

I am having this issue too.

I'm not using new skill builder.

I am getting error message for "{CustomSlotType}" utterance, but it works fine for "CustomSlotType} word" utterance, and for "{Date}" utterance.

I did change the interaction model this morning (added the CancelIntent to the intent - no changes to the utterances and custom slot type data). I didn't test it before but while after testing after my change, I noticed the issue, so I deleted the CancelIntent I had added, but issue is still there.

When hovering on error message, it says "Parse error on line 1: Unable to generate r Expecting STRING, NUMBER, NULL, TRUE, FALSE, {, [, got undefined

lin avatar image
lin answered

Our skill is broken now. It did work fine yesterday morning but now some cases break with the message: "Unable to generate request for your skill.". How to fix this @NickG@Amazon and what did Amazon changed yesterday? We are not using the new BETA Builder.

newuser-4c5a91b1-89ae-4fb8-ac43-c1c712f28587 avatar image
newuser-4c5a91b1-89ae-4fb8-ac43-c1c712f28587 answered

am also getting this - no idea why - not using new skill builder

y.lukyanov avatar image
y.lukyanov answered

The same here. Most often (the only cases?) the issue occurs for utterances where exists only a slot, like "{CUSTOM_TYPE}". It started today. I tried to make samples small enough.

My TYPE_ITEM consists only of two elements: milk, apples.

Sample utterances are:

• AddItemIntent {Item}
  • AddItemIntent add {Item}
  • AddItemIntent add an item
  • AddItemIntent add item
  • AddItemIntent add a product
  • AddItemIntent add product
  • AddItemIntent add a new item
  • AddItemIntent add new item
  • AddItemIntent add a new product
  • AddItemIntent add new product

When I run simulator with the text "milk" I get "Unable to generate request for your skill."

"add milk" works as expected.

P.S. I'm not using the new Skill Builder.

JerryM avatar image
JerryM answered

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same thing. Created a simple app that will repeat back to the user colors that are spoken. Created a custom slot containing colors. Works fine when uttering "tell me about red", but will get the error stated above when just uttering "red". Tried AMAZON.Color type just to see if behavior changed and it did not.

Looks to be some sort of parsing error when the Service Simulator attempts to generate the request. The one word utterance was working the last time I checked which was probably a week ago.