question

Lucas avatar image
Lucas asked

Amazon userId different when using Amazon Login & Amazon Echo?

Hi everyone, Here's a problem I just can't figure out. In order to have my application to work, I first need my users to log in with Amazon Login. When they do that, I save their Amazon userId to make sure I can identify them when they'll use Amazon Echo. I've been trying with my own account but it seems that the userId that Alexa is sending me is a different one. I've been using the same email for logging in and using Amazon Echo. How come? Thanks, Lucas
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lucas avatar image
Lucas answered
The only explanation that I have for now is that my developer account linked to the Amazon Echo is different from my Amazon.com account, but I couldn't find any doc to confirm that.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
Alexa anonamizes the IDs you get. There is no way to link the ID Echo passes you to an Amazon ID. It is guaranteed to be unique and consistent for each developer, but apps by different developers will get different IDs. If you want a linkage to a real world account, you have to do it yourself.

Matt Kruse avatar image
Matt Kruse answered
Is this documented somewhere? I was still operating under the assumption that the Login with Amazon ID would be the same as the ID passed by the Echo. I haven't gotten far enough to test that yet, but if it's definitely not true then I won't even bother. :)

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I remember seeing it, but I don't remember where I saw it. But I'm sure that it didn't discuss, explicitly the use case for comparing the ID you get with LoginWithAmazon. I'm seeing IDs that are "amzn1.account.LOTSOFHEX". Is that the same format you get with LoginWithAmazon?

Lucas avatar image
Lucas answered
That's exactly the same format for Amazon Echo and Amazon Login. I did not find any documentation giving information on that ID. At least, tell me that the ID is unique to an Amazon ID and won't change over the time?

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
My understanding is that it is unique to the user+developer account. I.e. the same user will have the same ID for all applications that belong to that developer. It's actually pretty exciting if the Echo ID matches what a web site gets with Login With Amazon. That would really make integration easier. I need to find out and, if so, add it to my book! :-)

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I went and signed on for "Login with Amazon" and added it to a web application. The ID I get back for it when signing into the same account I use for the Echo is not the same as the ID I get with Alexa when I use my Echo. It's the same format, but different hex numbers. Damn. That would have made life so much easier.

Brendan avatar image
Brendan answered
I was hoping that the two userIds would be the same too, as it would make integration with my app simple. Thanks for doing the research, bummer that it doesn't work how we wanted.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
See my replies here for some better clarity on this: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21661#21661 Basically the two IDs are not the same and should be assume to be totally unrelated IDs. -Nick