question

newuser-882a2fd8-c5ef-4e2a-aef5-38089b0341a9 avatar image
newuser-882a2fd8-c5ef-4e2a-aef5-38089b0341a9 asked ·

When will Alexa be able to control the color or volume of Smart Home devices?

I am using multiple Smart Home devices and it's a little annoying that Alexa is not able to control the color of my Light or the Volume of my TV using smart home commands.

When will these features be implemented?

alexa smart homecontroller
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! We don't discuss any plans about future products, services, or features. When new features are added, we will announce that on our developer blog (developer.amazon.com/blog) and here on the forums. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill_Orange avatar image
Bill_Orange answered ·

If you know some Linux this is a solution. Using a Raspberry Pi (the zero w is $10) and HA-Bridge you can do it now.

If you don't know any Linux this project might be a good place to start

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge

I just started playing with it yesterday. It is very powerful and once set up pretty easy to use. Alexa is going to get board with turning LEDs on and off

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

This has nothing to do with the features I was asking for. I was not talking about turning on/off or dimming, that already works. Using the HA-Bridge Alexa would still not be able to change colors or volume of devices with a smart home command.

These things are not possible because the necessary commands are not supported by the Smart Home Skill API like you can see here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/smart-home-skill-api-reference

That's why I'm asking for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
davorin avatar image
davorin answered ·

Well it has been announced just today on the blog that color control is part of the smarthome skill API (o;

McSeven avatar image
McSeven answered ·

Exactly, you can use a custom Smart Home Skill to set colors now. Seems to work in english at least.