question

twinkle-sharma avatar image
twinkle-sharma asked ·

Maps Geocoder not working in Fire Devices

My application uses geocoder for fetching the location for a zipcode. I am using a fire tablet for my device. I have registered the application with the details.

My geocoder is still giving me an error (java.io.IOException: Geocoding failed, please look into the logs for more details!).

I only added the MD5 checksum and not the SHA256. The two checksums need to be added in the same field? One after the other?

fire tabletamazon mapssecurityprofile
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The code is like this..

Geocoder geocoder = new Geocoder(context, Locale.ENGLISH);
List<Address> addresses = geocoder.getFromLocationName(zipCode, 1);
0 Likes 0 ·
Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi twinkle-sharma,

Thanks for posting! When you say "I have registered the application with the details" -- do you mean you registered your app's package name in the Maps section of the Dev Portal? If you haven't done so yet, please do that, as it's a required part for Maps to work.

As for SHA-256 -- yes, there've been some changes recently, and now all new API key registrations now require both MD5 and SHA-256 signatures. Please see:

https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/experience/maps/docs-v2/registering-and-testing-your-amazon-maps-api-v2-app

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

twinkle-sharma avatar image
twinkle-sharma answered ·

Hello,

Yes, I have registered my app's package name from the manifest file.

I am still getting an error in either case - if I enter MD5 and SHA-256 (both) with a space or without a space. The error is:

The signature must contain exactly 32 hexadecimal characters and can only contain ':', letters A-F and digits 0-9.

Should I enter just the MD5? Can you please tell me the correct way to add the signature.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi twinkle-sharma,

Please login to your Dev Portal account, click on your app's entry, and then click on the "Security Profile" link. There you will be able to provide both MD5 and SHA-256 signatures, both are required. After that, in the "Maps" section, the Debug registration requires only MD5 signature, and the Release registration will be automatically created from the existing info. Thanks!

Swash avatar image
Swash answered ·

did the geocoder finally worked on Kindle Fire or not? I have tried that all, but it does not work for me.

newuser-9351e906-0541-4c79-8eac-2afbde6ba3d1 avatar image
newuser-9351e906-0541-4c79-8eac-2afbde6ba3d1 answered ·

Hi @Levon, What is the format for entering both MD5 and SHA-256. How we can combine them, as there is just one text field to enter those values. Can you please confirm.