question

James avatar image
James asked

How are device names (friendlyNames) updated in Smart Home Skills? What is the standard/conventional method of updating these names?

After the device discovery request, the user receives a set of appliances/devices with a given friendly name. (I believe this information is stored in the Alexa app, although I'd like some clarification on this.)

If a user chooses to rename a friendly name through a third party app, then how are device 'friendly names' updated in the Alexa app? Another question in this forum described this "auto discovery" feature where Alexa constantly invokes the discoveryRequest at certain intervals.

The only method where I've successfully been able to call a device with a new friendly name is by forgetting all my devices and invoking the discovery request.

alexa smart homeamazon device messagingdevices
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered

Hi there,

Thanks for posting!

If these are local discovered devices, these are updated at regular intervals by performing a Discovery action.

For Cloud skill controlled devices, when an appliance name is changed, forget the device in the Alexa app, followed by speaking the command - Alexa, Discover My Devices - should update the appliance registry.

Even for the Cloud controlled devices, the background Discovery or a user initiated Discovery request captures any changes in the 'Appliance' name and updates the customer record. The behavior is the same for both Local and Cloud controlled appliances

Thanks,

Jamie

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.