question

David Berry avatar image
David Berry asked

Getting "Unable to call remote endpoint or the response is invalid"

I've set up my backend Alexa service as a .NET service (Web API) running on an EC2 instance. I've put my endpoint into the developer portal, configured SSL, and I get to the Service Simulator, but whenever I try to call my function, I get a message of "Unable to call remote endpoint or the response is invalid" I can hit my service using a REST client, so I know my service is up and running and accessible. I've also double checked my EC2 networking rules, and I am allowing requests on port 443 from any host. What is interesting is that when I hit my service from my machine, I see the request in the IIS logs. When I try to invoke it from the Alexa Service Simulator though, I don't see anything in the request logs, almost like it isn't even trying to call out to my service (or something is in the way before it even gets to IIS, which is why I double checked the networking config). Any thoughts on what this might be? Thank you, David
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Berry avatar image
David Berry answered
It looks like one of my issues was that the DNS name in the cert did not match my endpoint. [i]The DNS entries in the certificate presented do not match the target endpoint[/i] I got this message by speaking my question to the Echo, and then looking at my history in alexa.amazon.com. So if others get this message, try to speak your question, because you might get a little better error message that way that tells you what is going on.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Berry avatar image
David Berry answered
I have got things to work. After my last post, I had a to export the cert that had the correct domain name and then bring that into the Skill setup, but now things are working fine. What I did learn is try both through the simulator and with voice commands, because you might get more informative errors from one of those methods that can help you troubleshoot what is going wrong.
10 |5000

cdburns123 avatar image
cdburns123 answered
My outside IP is, of course, with my ISP...how do I solve the DNS issue from my point? I have a self-signed on my server. Thanks
10 |5000

Sudhindra avatar image
Sudhindra answered
I am running my skill on an azure website. all azure websites have a *. azurewebsites.net certificate. So I still see the same error. Amazon, should expose some sort of telemetry to help here. Searching through the forums to figure out why you get a particular error is not at all efficient. some more information on the error might be useful,
10 |5000

Stefan Negritoiu avatar image
Stefan Negritoiu answered
This generic error usually means there's a problem with: - SSL handshake - request signature or timestamp verification Sudhindra, the reason you're experiencing this problem with the free tier of Azure Websites which run at *. azurewebsites.net is because those SSL endpoints are SNI and the Alexa service doesn't support calling out to SNI SSL endpoints (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication if you don't know what that is). In order to use Azure Websites you have to be on the paid tier and configure yoru endpoint to have a dedicated IP for SSL not with SNI. HTH, Stefan
10 |5000

rog23 avatar image
rog23 answered
Hi All, This is the error message I'm receiving, "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." I'm having the same problem. It looks like the call never hits our servers. I'm running on my google cloud instance. I have a cert recognized by Network Solutions. I can use Google Postman to hit the endpoint and it works correctly. Is google cloud no longer? I had a demo version working with this exact endpoint previously and I'm not sure what happened. Mike
10 |5000

rog23 avatar image
rog23 answered
Nevermind I have figured out my endpoint issue.
10 |5000

msmasood avatar image
msmasood answered
HI , i am facing the same issue, can you please let me know what was the solution you implemented to resolve the issue?
10 |5000

memo@amazon avatar image
memo@amazon answered
Hi msmasood, Can you please provide some additional context for the error you're seeing? How did you implement your end point? Do you have logging enabled for it? Are all requests to your endpoint giving you this error? Have you been successful in deploying any of our samples to your endpoint? Thanks,
10 |5000

scott avatar image
scott answered

does anyone have an issue to the unreachable endpoint crap issue that seems impossible to troubleshoot?

also: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/59986/cannot-resolve-hostname-for-requested-skill.html

10 |5000