question

newuser-6c1153e7-9fa6-4a29-ad49-d9668928fa9e avatar image

Hitting url for vmap works on Android tv and emulators, but I get "UnknownHostException" when calling it from AFTV.

Hi guys, I have an endpoint which I need to hit to get back a VMAP for ads. I'm using Volley to access it. Running the app on a physical AndroidTV device or and Android TV emulator works fine. I'm able to get and parse the response successfully.

But the same code fails to reach the endpoint when ran on Amazon Fire TV. I get: 'NoConnectionError', cause: 'UnknownHostException' with the error message: 'java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "api.remoco.tv⁠⁠⁠⁠": No address associated with hostname'

I have added the 'INTERNET' permission to the manifest, and on Android TV devices it successfully reaches the endpoint and parses the returned data. Can anyone tell me why it might fail on Fire TV? Is there some Fire TV specific permission I missing perhaps?

fire tvandroiddevicesapp
2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Without knowing anything about the FireTV, I'm asking: Where does it get its DNS Data from?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! I have forwarded your query to the Fire OS team. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! Please check the permissions in your Android manifest file. Before accessing the internet, check whether you have the required permission or not. Also, make sure you device is actually connected to Wi-Fi (open a different app to verify). Please see the discussion below for more details:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6355498/unable-to-resolve-host-url-here-no-address-associated-with-hostname

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.