question

Randiculous avatar image
Randiculous asked

Streaming and non-streaming audio in same skill -- against Amazon's policies?

I have a skill that uses non-streaming audio for short clips that are followed by Alexa's voice prompting the user with questions. Simple enough. I recently added streaming audio for the support of playing long podcasts that just play and exit. This all works great, and Amazon certified it on first submission. Now, however...

I just fixed a couple UK-specific Interaction Model issues and now the certification team refuses to approve the skill because the short, non-streamed audio does not pause. The logic they appear to follow is that if the skill has streaming audio of any type, all audio in the skill must pause, resume, etc -- even the short, less-than 90-second clips.

If you use streaming audio in a skill, must _all_ audio be streamed? This appears to be the basis behind why my skill isn't being approved anymore. I don't think I need to explain why this would be extremely limiting.

Amazon, please help explain my options here.

Thanks,

-Randy

certificationaudio
1 comment
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

*bump*

Can I have both streaming and non-streaming audio in a skill? If yes, how do I get the certification team on board with concept?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

Hi Randy. This is an interesting scenario that we'd be happy take a closer look at and if need be, discuss with the certification team. If you haven't done so already, please file a contact us case at the URL below with the following information:

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/support/contact/contact-us

• Skill name
  • Skill ID
  • Brief description of the issues encountered
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.