question

Don avatar image
Don asked

Unexpected Communication Issue on all skills

I have one published skill and a few others that I'm working on. Today around 9PM EDT they all stopped functioning and give various errors: - Card has Unexpected Communication Issue - Alexa says "There was a problem communicating with the requested skill." - The Service Simulator has a valid Lambda request, but no response: "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." Since it happened on all skills at the same time, it seems like Lambda is at fault. But other third party skills seem to be operating. Any ideas?
alexa skills kitsubmission testing certification
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

E Fung avatar image
E Fung answered
I have the same issue. A skill I was debugging a few weeks ago stopped working tonight. I've double-checked the Event Source in Lambda, and the Skill Information and Interaction Model in the Alexa Dev Console. Service Simulator returns "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." Pressing Test in Lambda console just displays "Service error".
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

E Fung avatar image
E Fung answered
Just noticed that the AWS Service Health Dashboard has this to say about AWS Lambda (N. Virginia): 6:52 PM PDT We are investigating increased error rates and latencies in US-EAST-1 Region. 7:55 PM PDT We continue to investigate increased error rates and latencies in the US-EAST-1 Region.
10 |5000

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
All skills using lambda are down for me, too.
10 |5000

Sanyu avatar image
Sanyu answered
Thanks for flagging. We are aware and investigating. Sanyu
10 |5000

Sanyu avatar image
Sanyu answered
We are continuing to track. I have posted the last AWS update (8:56 PM PDT) here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=114 sanyu
10 |5000

Sanyu avatar image
Sanyu answered
Update form AWS Service Dashboard: 10:27 PM PDT Between 5:10 PM PDT and 10:00 PM PDT we experienced increased error rates in the US-EAST-1 Region. The issue has been resolved and the service is operating normally. Latencies may remain elevated until the event backlog is fully cleared. also posted here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=114 Please let us know if you are still seeing Lambda skill failures so we can re-verify.
10 |5000

lkrok avatar image
lkrok answered
Would be great if we can have a fallback ARN, so we can put copies of the Lambda skill (or https server) in two different Regions, minimizing the risk of it completely failing.
10 |5000