question

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz asked ·

Fire7 emulation settings

I've asked this before and am still pulling my hair out on it.

I cannot get the screen emulation settings I am using to display as a Fire7 device does. Amazon doesn't provide emulator images anymore. Just settings for you to implement yourself.

I've implemented them, but something still isn't right. I get less screen real-estate on the device than I do in the emulator. Either the device settings Amazon provides are inaccurate/insufficient, or I'm consistently misreading them because I've tried to restart from scratch 3 times now and my emulator always behaves differently.

Here is the content of my config file. If you can tell me what setting is wrong (or even better, post the contents of yours that works correctly!), I'd really appreciate it.

hw.cpu.arch = x86
hw.cpu.model = qemu32
hw.cpu.ncore = 2
hw.ramSize = 1024
hw.screen = multi-touch
hw.mainKeys = false
hw.trackBall = false
hw.keyboard = true
hw.keyboard.lid = true
hw.keyboard.charmap = qwerty2
hw.dPad = false
hw.gsmModem = true
hw.gps = false
hw.battery = true
hw.accelerometer = false
hw.audioInput = true
hw.audioOutput = true
hw.sdCard = false
disk.cachePartition = true
disk.cachePartition.path = C:\Users\Joe\.android\avd\Fire7.avd/cache.img
disk.cachePartition.size = 66m
hw.lcd.width = 1024
hw.lcd.height = 600
hw.lcd.depth = 16
hw.lcd.density = 160
hw.lcd.backlight = true
hw.gpu.enabled = true
hw.gpu.mode = host
hw.gpu.blacklisted = no
hw.initialOrientation = portrait
hw.camera.back = emulated
hw.camera.front = none
vm.heapSize = 192
hw.sensors.light = true
hw.sensors.pressure = true
hw.sensors.humidity = true
hw.sensors.proximity = false
hw.sensors.magnetic_field = true
hw.sensors.orientation = false
hw.sensors.temperature = true
hw.useext4 = true
kernel.path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk/system-images\android-22\default\x86\/kernel-ranchu
kernel.newDeviceNaming = yes
kernel.supportsYaffs2 = no
disk.ramdisk.path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk/system-images\android-22\default\x86\/ramdisk.img
disk.systemPartition.initPath = C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk/system-images\android-22\default\x86\/system.img
disk.systemPartition.size = 850m
disk.dataPartition.path = C:\Users\Joe\.android\avd\Fire7.avd/userdata-qemu.img
disk.dataPartition.size = 550m
avd.name = Fire7
fire tabletandroid
5 comments
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I have escalated this issue to appropriated internal team. Stay tuned, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

If you can provide me contact info, I'm more than happy to send you the layout that produces this discrepancy. (It works fine on a Fire 8').

0 Likes 0 ·

Please share your info with us through https://developer.amazon.com/public/support/contact/contact-us with reference to this post. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Hi JoeHz,

I have replied to your other / duplicate question, please take a look and see if it helps:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/51328/fire-avd-settings.html#answer-58758

0 Likes 0 ·
JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz answered ·

I believe I have figured the issue out. Know what's different between emulators and devices? User preferences for text size.

The Android UI guidelines say to use sp for character size and dp for everything else -- the reason for this is anything defined in terms of sp is influenced by the user setting preference for text appearance. If the user wants big text in his apps, this is how he gets it.

BUT

Since I'm putting text onto *buttons*, I needed to use a textSize specified in dp or else the text might overflow the button area (conversely I could let the button size change along with that preference for large text, in which case I should use sp for the button size as well).

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Awesome JoeHz, and thank you for sharing your experience!

0 Likes 0 ·
Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered ·

Hi JoeHz,

Your settings look correct. We can confirm that the screen resolution indeed gets reported as:

hw.lcd.width = 1024
hw.lcd.height = 600

For any files you want to share with us privately via Contact Us, first upload those files to your cloud storage and send us their URLs (don't send actual files). Include a link to this forum thread for context. Thanks!

6 comments

The contact us link doesn't give me enough space even for the one little part of my layout that has the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks JoeHz -- the Contact Us form does not support large texts or attachments. As I mentioned earlier, please upload any files to your cloud storage, and send us links (URLs) to those files, instead of sending the files themselves, or copying and pasting their content. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
JoeHz avatar image JoeHz Levon@Amazon ♦ ·

Must have missed that. Anyway, I sent you a link to a bunch of xml files. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
JoeHz avatar image JoeHz Levon@Amazon ♦ ·

Buehler? Levon? Anyone? I've now sent you screenshots of the problem on a fire7 and it not occuring on the emulator as defined above. Will send you all the link again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi JoeHz,

Apologies for the delay, I am still looking into this issue. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Any comments on the files I sent?

0 Likes 0 ·