question

jonathan avatar image
jonathan asked

What's wrong with my audio file?

What's wrong with my audio file? I have tried to save it as both MONO 48kbps and STEREO 48kps. This is the stereo version.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/maya-audio/ppa_welcome.mp3

It will not play in the voice simulator in the ASK Developer console. The tag returns: Error: There was a problem when trying to retrieve the audio from https://s3.amazonaws.com/maya-audio/ppa_welcome.mp3 Please let me know how to find the problem with my file.

Thanks, Jonathan

alexa skills kitaudiossml
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jonathan avatar image
jonathan answered
Thanks @ jjaquinta . The easy thing to do was to install ffmpeg with homebrew: [b]$ brew install ffmpeg[/b] then run: [b]ffmpeg -i -ac 2 -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ar 16000 [/b] . That fixed it right up.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
It's hard to get the settings exactly right. What did you use to make it? They give exact steps for Audacity and ffmpeg. I've used both, and if you follow the steps exactly, it works OK.
3 comments

Where are the exact steps for Audacity? I cannot find the documentation for that.

0 Likes 0 ·

See that bar on the top of the screen that says "Find posts, topics, users...". Well, type in "Audacity" in there and hit "enter". It's the one and only article that comes up.

:-P

1 Like 1 ·

Read Has anyone got to work? which pointed me to New SSML Tag: Audio for these steps using Audacity®.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jenn avatar image
Jenn answered

I used VLC to convert my audio file to MP3 Version 2. Found it much easier to use than ffmpeg. I wrote up the steps here:

convert-audio-file-to-mp3-version-2.pdf

1 comment

This is great..thanks for the pdf.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gary Davis avatar image
Gary Davis answered

I used the recommended ffmpeg statement to convert my audio clip but it failed in the Voice Simulator on the Test page. Right-click the .mp3->properties->details showed it was 47K.

I tried audacity with the recommended steps and this time the details showed it was 48k. I uploaded it to S3 and this time it worked with the Voice Simulator.

The doc is at https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/speech-synthesis-markup-language-ssml-reference#audio and shows both the recommended ffmpeg command and the Audacity steps.