question

newuser-4fbe89a3-e492-4c6c-87af-62c36b31cde2 avatar image

Trouble with screen focus on Fire TV stick

I am porting a working Amazon Underground app to Fire TV stick. Two problems with focus behavior:

(1) When buttons are not focussed, the text is white making it difficult to see and

(2) on a screen with several EditText, moving up and down skips some fields.

Any ideas how to fix these problems?

fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

Is this an Android or a web app? We are not aware of such rendering bugs or focus issues, but if you could please provide a snippet of your code around that issue so we could reproduce it, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joseph Shelby avatar image
Joseph Shelby answered

Re: difficult to read? 10 ft rule applies to a degree. It may take a different font or making things larger. Google picked their roboto font explicitly for easy reading. The other thing contributing to lack of readability on a TV is HDMI overscan: try to make sure your stick is calibrated to the screen properly. That roboto font was picked because it deals with overscan better than many others (mind you, it would be nice if Chromecast and AndroidTV had the ability to adapt to overscan the way Amazon's Fire does - one clear advantage to Amazon on that regard).

Re: navigation? I can only speak for webapps, but my experience is that relying on the default remote navigation isn't always the best thing to do. For example, if I have a pop-up menu and start hitting the down key, it will focus on things *under* the menu because from a strictly 2-d perspective, they're next in line when one hits "down". For my app, I had to write my own navigation handler that responded to the key events the remote would give, and use CSS selectors to direct things to the right next target for the direction.

1 comment
10 |5000

i have no idea why all my formatting was lost. sorry. :/

0 Likes 0 ·