question

Venkata R Alladi avatar image
Venkata R Alladi asked

Recognize individual letters

How to invoke / use intent to recognize individual letters? Like I want to use it by I B M (IBM) R
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I've not found anything very useful for this. What I generally do is encourage the user to use the NATO phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie). I put in one slot for each "letter". Whatever word Alexa recognizes, I just take the first letter of it. It's not perfect. But it the best I've found so far.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
You should be able to create an intent with sample utterances containing the alphabets you want. The SDK development team was able to accomplish this by defining individual alphabets in the sample utterance. Alexa can recognize them and passes them back. Have you tried adding the expected response as a sample utterance?
10 |5000

Frank Giuffrida avatar image
Frank Giuffrida answered
Example: AddPlayerIntent player {n. c.|PlayerName} This intent is invoked when I speak "player n c". So IBM should be recognized by {i. b. m.|CompanyName}
10 |5000

magoosh avatar image
magoosh answered

Does anyone have a solution for accepting just ONE letter as a response from the user? I.e. "What's the first letter of the word 'alligator'?" -> "a." When I try to give Alexa a single-letter answer, she just ignores me and considers my request to be null.

10 |5000