question

Steve A avatar image
Steve A asked

Help with SSML: Invalid SSML Output Speech

I'm trying to get IPA phonetic pronunciation to work, with no success. (I'm not using the Java library). Here's why I think it should working. 1. I think the JSON is well formed, because I'm getting no errors when using other SSML properties, for example, when using the tag. 2. I'm getting Alexa to send a card with the correct IPA transcription. For example, I say, "Say piove" and I get piˈɔːve on the card in the app. 3. I *do* get a valid response in the simulator. Though the IPA doesn't show up. Rather, I get: Here is my best shot 4. BUT: When using Alexa I always get an Invalid SSML Output Speech error. More specifically, for piˈɔːve I get: Error: Unexpected character 'p' (code 112) in start tag Expected a quote at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,56] So, clearly I'm not giving Alexa the correct formatting, but can't figure out why not. Again, if I switch the tag to, for example, (along with other relevant changes), everything goes smoothly. My backup plan it to just create a skill where you ask Alexa to say a foreign word, she reads back a random cardinal number. But still haven't figured out a good use case for that one. :)
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
Please ignore stupid question. Got it working.
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

What did you do to get it working?

0 Likes 0 ·
jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I got Alexa to swear this morning using IPA. Snigger. Just embracing my inner high school student...
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, There are a few known issues regarding IPA character encoding on various browsers in the inline Lambda console editor. We've covered that here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=9229&tstart=0. Not sure if that was the exact same issue but hopefully it will help for anyone else looking at this. We're also working with the Lambda team to get this bug fixed. Thanks, Nick
1 comment
10 |5000

the link provided is invalid

0 Likes 0 ·