question

Ian Suttle avatar image
Ian Suttle asked

"Eight" frequently goes to the wrong intent

I built a skill that's recently been certified called "Teacher for Alexa". The premise is to take two random numbers between 0 and 10, then ask what the answer is to a math question with those two numbers (e.g. 2+5, 6-1, 3x4, etc). In using the skill I've experienced times when it will seemingly randomly direct to my "QuitIntent" which handles responses like "quit", "I'm done", etc. After testing multiple times I've narrowed it down to quitting when the response is "eight". What's interesting is if I accentuate the "t" sound in the word "eight", Alexa hears it properly. If I say it a bit more naturally and don't accentuate the "t", it quits. I tried to see if one of the utterances for the QuitIntent are too similar by simply removing them. When I did that, "eight" would just route to some other intent. No matter what I've tried, I can't get "eight" to route to the right intent without the accentuated "t". Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas? If interested, you could try this for yourself by enabling the "Teacher for Alexa" intent. Thanks in advance! Ian
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Steve A avatar image
Steve A answered
What slot type is "eight"? (And for that matter, "quit"?) You could try try putting one or the other (or both) in custom slots types/literal slot types and see if that helps. (That is, have a custom slot type for the numbers 0 - 10, and a custom slot for quit | exit | cancel. Perhaps some combination of custom/literal/number slot types will help? Steve
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Galactoise avatar image
Galactoise answered
I've also noticed that Alexa has a hard time with the word "Eight". I built a skill to record reward codes for MyCokeRewards, which involved reading a string of 14 alphanumerics, and "Eight" was a pain point. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you - it's still flakey - although using a custom slot type did help lessen the frequency for me.
10 |5000

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
I wrote a UPS package tracking skill that had to import a similar number of alpha-numerics. The solution I used was to input them, three at a time, and read them back to the user as we went. If you want to use/learn from the code, it is here: https://github.com/jjaquinta/EchoProofOfConcepts
10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
Adopting the new AMAZON.StopIntent instead of your own QuitIntent should help mitigate this issue. It will force a strict match on phrases meant for exiting skills. This should reduce the chance that a user will accidentally exit a skill if words are misrecognized since they will not be interpreted as AMAZON.StopIntent. Note that input that is recognized as something not from the training data will still go to another intent (e.g. HelpIntent). More information can be found here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/implementing-the-built-in-intents https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/community/post/Tx4DUAGXZXZ5A6/Announcing-New-Alexa-Skills-Kit-ASK-Features-Built-In-Intents-and-Slot-Type-for
10 |5000

Bailey avatar image
Bailey answered
My skill had trouble with the word "through", Alexa often interpreted it as "three". Especially with phrases such as "five through nine". Alexa would hear "five three nine". I had the most success fixing this by providing feedback in the Alexa app and creating an alternative way for the user to phrase the information. It's still not perfect but I documented what worked specifically for my skill here: https://github.com/philosowaffle/bible-skill-site/wiki/Tips-and-Tricks
10 |5000