question

fearnottruth avatar image
fearnottruth asked ·

Copy Cats file fake counter copyright complaints and win?!

We have had a few of our listings selling over 100 times in last 7 days consistently, disappear. After hours upon hours on the phone, getting through to someone who actually could help us, we were told someone submitted a copyright complaint on our original designs?! and that one rep, took it down.

Talk about taking the wind out of our sails. There are clear listings showing pixellated exact copies of our original, crisp designs - and we have submitted one after another complaint, only to be told it isn't enough.

What do we do, and how can we know who is submitting these fake counter-copyright complaints? There has to be some setup where amazon let's us know who is doing this, so we can fight back against the now mounting poorly pixellated exact copies (Hi-Res downloads from our listings) of our designs.

merch by amazoncopyright
2 comments
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dementees avatar image Dementees newuser-536725b0-dfc1-4ec3-8f13-0ca65a1cfdc0 ·

Didn't even notice how old the original post was. Wow.

2 Likes 2 ·
Sam Wade avatar image
Sam Wade answered ·

lack of management and oversight

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

2pc4me avatar image
2pc4me answered ·

In theory at least you should receive the contact details of the complainant(s) for precisely this reason, so you can dispute their claim / issue a counter-claim. It's my understanding that this is an actual requirement of the DMCA.

Amy avatar image
Amy answered ·

THAT is scary AF. I would have thought the upload date would be our safety net as many of these copycats have declared war (as if stealing designs wasn't enough). question -- how did you reach them by phone? I'm an email kind of gal but someone else posted earlier and I advised there wasn't a number that I knew of yet

hooligan13 avatar image
hooligan13 answered ·

This happened to me as well! Their copied design went up on mba within 2 days my original design was taken down that was up over a year

Dementees avatar image
Dementees answered ·

I wrote them repeatedly one time to give me the full contact information for a bogus takedown I received, which they're required by law to do, and they simply replied with the same copy / paste emails about contacting the person who filed, even after I told them over and over how the email they gave me was no good. Round and round until I finally gave up. If Merch is being run by AI, which is my suspicion, then they need their software upgraded to include a better understanding of the law and a little more compassion.

FocusedOnResults avatar image
FocusedOnResults answered ·

The original post being two years (almost to the day old) is insightful to me that this issue has been occurring for some time now on Merch.

The theft of designs has gone on, who knows how long in retail- think about how many knock offs you've seen over the years.

I was shopping at a local mall Saturday and saw two kiosks selling POD t-shirts that were in obvious copyright violation (Disney and many others). Yet mall management allowed them to set up shop.

We had an expo in our town a couple years ago - the only time they had the expo in our town - filled with a good amount of knock offs. The county police raided and seized the merchandise.

I was at an expo in a large city this past winter - walked past a booth selling t-shirts and saw one of my designs on a t-shirt. It was a top seller on Merch the first year I created it and there it was - in a booth.

It perplexes me that people blatantly steal our designs- it isn't just on Merch but on countless PODs and physical storefronts.

TEES avatar image
TEES answered ·

I have said a ton of times. Send Amazon your registration number. Take down in less than 48 hours max.

newuser-424acab2-f26a-4fac-bb76-b30258f7469f avatar image
newuser-424acab2-f26a-4fac-bb76-b30258f7469f answered ·

I'm a newbie and just achieved tier 25. Welcome to merch - today two copycats popped up. one on Amazon, and with another seller elsewhere online. The off-amazon issue was full on screen capture, including the copyright symbol and words that are on my original design. Seeing this string gives me little hope. That and the fact that my infringement complaint just came back from Amazon, for the second time, saying that they can't verify my identity via the claim form information supplied. WHAT?

1 comment

that shit is annoying me too!! it's like they don't want to help..

0 Likes 0 ·