question

Steve L. avatar image
Steve L. asked

Is there a slot type for sentences or phrases?

I want my skill to take a note. What slot time will pass whatever the end users says so I can record the note?
alexa skills kitvoice-user interface
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered
No. Alexa is extremely poor at general text input. It is not a generic SpeechToText service. The reason it has an interaction model is because the more constrained the input, the better it does. It's only about 70% accurate for generic input. So in a 10 word sentence, about 3 words will be wrong. You can fool Alexa into doing this by having a slot type with a whole bunch of varied text. (Search the forum for "generic slot type".) But the results are poor, at best. My advice is that if your design requires generic text input, to consider how to change your design so that it doesn't.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-aaebb9ac-14e5-4be4-957c-d316e1b6901e avatar image
newuser-aaebb9ac-14e5-4be4-957c-d316e1b6901e answered

is the condition any better now, I guess this was two years back. Hopefully things are better now., any opinion??

10 |5000

chris185 avatar image
chris185 answered

Hi,

You can use Amanzon.SearchQuery Slot Type, it gives you whatever the user says.

Regards

Christoph

10 |5000