question

Sell-On avatar image
Sell-On asked ·

Any examples of Feedburner feed for flash briefing?

I am creating a new flash briefing skill for a website that uses Feedburner for its RSS. The format is apparently wrong because Alexa reads all sort of html info that must be in the feed. Does anyone have examples of how to properly format a Feedburner feed so that it works with flash briefing?

skillhow-toflash briefing
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered ·

Hi Sell-On. It's not quite possible to just point a flash briefing skill to any RSS feed for precisely the reasons you outlined. We do however have documentation demonstrating how an Alexa flash briefing feed should be formatted which can be found here:

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/flash-briefing-skill-api-feed-reference

Please note that the "Content-Type: application/json" at the top of the examples is information that should be sent in the header, not the body and that the "..." in the examples is there to separate the information to be set in the header and what should be in the body. I've seen a few cases recently where developers were trying to include all of this in the body which was causing trouble.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KatieZ avatar image
KatieZ answered ·

Hi @Sell-On

I had this problem too when I first started. Turns out you need an rss feed that is a category specific feed so you end up only sending the media feed to Amazon - not regular blog posts and other stuff from your website. In general, having a category specific rss feed is quite a great idea anyway as you can sort all your contect much better. Hoping you have a WordPress site as I will give you the link to the free plug-in. Follow the easy steps from the developer and only give Amazon the feed category you set up like I did. I made mine flash-briefing. Here is the link to that plug-in.... https://wordpress.org/plugins/category-specific-rss-feed-menu/

Jan Rossi

JanRossi.com

You have to put their rss feed info in a sidebar so I added mine in the footer and I am showing 3 different feeds. It won't work correctly without you putting their "Specific Category RSS Feed" into a sidebar or footer area from the widgets area so don't forget that step.

Good luck! Jan