question

Elmo avatar image
Elmo asked

Massive drop in Underground minutes.

We are seeing a massive drop of minutes engadged for one of our games on the Amazon Underground store. It started on November 20. The game had a steady 55-60k minutes daily for some weeks - now suddenly dropped down to 8k within 6 days.

Anybody else seeing this? Could this be a reporting issue?

Thanks for any hint!

reporting
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Melody avatar image
Melody answered

During the week of November 20th, we became aware of a drop in Underground usage data being reported by user devices. Although the data was not being reported, it was still being collected and saved. We have addressed the root cause of the issue. The usage minute spikes that Underground App developers saw on December 10th and 13th are due to the processing of this previously captured but unreported data. Payments for December will include minutes that had been recorded in November and reported after the fix. We have also confirmed that devices are now correctly collecting and reporting usage data going forward. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For additional information on how Underground payments work, please refer to these FAQ’s:

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/underground/docs/amazon-underground-frequently-asked-questions-faq#Payment

If you have any account-specific questions, please let us know via Contact Us.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ruben avatar image
Ruben answered

My game has dropped to 25% of minutes daily over the past few months. In my case, it started on November 23.

10 |5000

Melody avatar image
Melody answered

Thanks for posting in the forums! If you have not done so already, please sign into your company's developer account and create a "Contact Us" case so that we can investigate your inquiry with more specific data. Thank you!

1 comment
10 |5000

Elmo avatar image Elmo commented ·

Still got no answer from support. Amazon is doing so much for developers to get developers working on apps for their new hardware - but when it comes to reporting you don't hear a word. Smaller developers like me need to have a reliable reporting system to see if our numbers are ok or not. Below is the Amazon reporting chart to show you how our data looks like. Our Google Analytics data still says all users are playing the game. I would at least expect an email from Amazon saying that they are working on this or what ever. Technical problems can happen every time - we all know this - so why not be transparent and communicate - and we know where the problem is. Thanks!

1 Like 1 ·
newuser-4fbe89a3-e492-4c6c-87af-62c36b31cde2 avatar image
newuser-4fbe89a3-e492-4c6c-87af-62c36b31cde2 answered

Me too. This is about the third time in the past few weeks. The minutes are zero for a few days then they get fixed. In general, this problem happens about once or twice a month.

10 |5000

port119 avatar image
port119 answered

same. hope they're working on it.

10 |5000

FiveBn avatar image
FiveBn answered

We also have noticed a strange issue recently and would like to know a possible reason of these changes. Starting from November, 22 the duration of playing (in minutes) per day has significantly declined. We have several Underground games, and for the last 1,5 months they have shown 250-300k minutes a day in general. But, starting from the 22nd of November, the number has decreased to 70k and keeps showing this quantity during the week. Please see a diagram below:

From our side, there have not any updates or changes been made, but all the games show the identical dynamics. Could we know what has been changed and what is the reason of this shift?

111.png (44.0 KiB)
1 comment
10 |5000

Elmo avatar image Elmo commented ·

Can you say if this only happen to updated apps or for all of your apps? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-ad1e0a2f-631a-4c07-864f-32dddb1d5ce8 avatar image
newuser-ad1e0a2f-631a-4c07-864f-32dddb1d5ce8 answered

Same here. Works then stops. Then it spikes up again and then breaks again. Flakey is the word I would use. In amazon's defence there is a message saying numbers delayed. but that's there more often than not these days.

10 |5000

Peter Wiseman avatar image
Peter Wiseman answered

Same problem on both of my Apps. The reported minutes have dropped to 20% of normal since 23rd November. I'm 100% convinced this is a problem at Amazon's end as the DAUs for my Apps, tracked through a third party, have gone up during this time period. This reporting problem seems to happen every week, usually around the weekend for about three days and then corrects itself but I've never seen it go on this long. Everyone experiencing this should submit a support request so Amazon acknowledges it's a widespread problem and fixes their data before they under pay us by a huge amount at the end of this month!

10 |5000

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer answered

Same for me, hopefully this is fixed soon :)

10 |5000

Elmo avatar image
Elmo answered

Support Team does not answer to this so far and they probably will never answer. You will first get an answer from them when the problem is somehow solved and they will say: "We couldn't find any issues". This is how it goes all the time. Our next title will not be released on Amazon - this is my conclusion to this. We are publishing games since 2012 on Amazon and we had this issue already with other titles. We never got an excuse for it or any details what was happening. We also didn't got the lost revenue back as far as we could see. Is Apple any better? From what I could say: When there are problems with iTunes Connect and we write to support, Apple giving us a call to clear things up or writing back within less than 12h.

Oh and finally, I'm sad Amazon has problems like this. They do so much for developers and have a great QA team for apps - but when it comes to reporting it simply doesn't work. I still hope they can fix this and be more transparent to developers.

10 |5000